The Green is by far the oldest of the city's parks. It is situated within walking distance of the city centre east of the Saltmarket. It is currently undergoing a renaissance with major investment through the Lottery Heritage Fund providing a catalyst for the redevelopment of the local neighbourhood.
Glasgow Green is located at Greendykes St at The Saltmarket Glasgow G1 5DB
- The Doulton Fountain was moved to the Green in 1890 after the 1888 International Exhibition in Kelvingrove. Having undergone a £5m refurbishment the fountain has been relocated to the front of the People's Palace.
- The naval victories of Viscount Horatio Nelson are commemorated by the impressive grade A listed column erected by public subscription in 1806. This was the first monument in Britain to be erected in his honour.
- There are several notable monuments around the Green including:
- The Collins Fountain erected in 1881 by the temperance supporters of Sir William Collins.
- The impressive McLennan Arch designed by Robert and James Adam. The arch is a remodelling of the centre of the piano nobile of Robert and James Adam's 1890 Assembly Rooms, Ingram Street, as a triumphal arch. The building was demolished - and the arch was subsequently resited twice - the most recent being in 1992.
- Play village (open 8.30am - Dusk)
- Local play area (open 8.30am - Dusk)
- Major City events space
- Major footpaths and carriageways have lighting
- Network of asphalt footpaths
- Orienteering course - opens June 2004
- Clyde viewing platforms
- Heavy Horses - stabled and exercised daily within the park
- Developments underway:
- McPhun's Park - an area of horticultural excellence for quiet contemplation
- People's Palace Gardens - areas of horticultural excellence
Also within the parks grounds you can find:
- People's Palace and Winter Gardens (Subject to opening times, for details Phone: 0141 271 2951)
- Glasgow Green Football Centre (Subject to opening times and booking Phone: 0141 276 0680)
For information on hiring The Winter Gardens in Glasgow Green visit our Venue Hire.
- Public toilets
- People's Palace (Subject to opening times)
- Play Village (Subject to opening times)
- Public telephone
- People's Palace (Subject to opening times)
- An historical interpretation trail linking monuments and sculptures with the historical development of the Green is being developed and will eventually be supported by display boards and link with the People's Palace, Glasgow's museum of social history.
In 1450, Bishop Turnbull gifted the common lands of Glasgow Green to the people of Glasgow. Initially it was used for washing, bleaching linen, grazing, drying fishing nets and for swimming.
For centuries it functioned as the city's only green public open space. The park bears the thumbprint of many custodians and it was under their influences that the swampy flood plain crossed by the Camlachie Burn - in parts as wide as the Clyde - was converted into a levelled field/parkland.
Key Events on The Green
In recent centuries, events have taken place on the 'Green' that continue to touch the lives of millions worldwide. The following samples provide a taster:
- 1732 - The Washhouse, Glasgow's first 'steamie', is built in the middle of a field on the banks of the Camlachie Burn.
- 1745-46 - Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) arrives in Glasgow with his army, their clothing in tatters. Rather than have the city sacked, merchants provide them with new garments and a revitalised Prince Charles reviews his troops on Flesher's Haugh.
- 1831-32 - Massive demonstrations on the Green associated with the Reform Bill.
- 1830-1914 - The Green becomes a favoured meeting place of suffragettes.
- 1867 - Hundreds of thousands meet on the Green to hear about Gladstone's Reform Bill.
- 1888 - Sir Henry Doulton donates a terracotta fountain to the city. This is moved to the Green in 1890.
- 1889 - Templeton's Carpet Factory completed. The design of the façade is based on the Doges Palace in Venice. The façade collapses on 1st November 1889 killing 29 women and girls.
- 1898 - The People's Palace and Winter Gardens opens.
- 1920s - Football pitches and changing facilities appear on Flesher's Haugh.
- 1996 - Glasgow receives Heritage Lottery Award of £6.6m towards the £10.2m capital cost of renewal and revitalisation of the Green.
- Train - Glasgow Green is approximately 25 min walking time from Central Station and Queen Street Station. High Street and Bellgrove Stations are approximately a 10 min walk.
- Bus - Various routes operate from the city centre
- Car - Car parking is currently being redeveloped within the Green at the front of the Peoples Palace, access will be from Green Street and Greendyke Street. On street parking is also available on Greendyke street and car parks are located at Molendinar Street and High Street.
- Walking - Access on foot is available via
- The Saltmarket at McLennan Arch
- Greendyke Street, Monteith Row, Greenhead Street and Kings Drive
- Adelphi Street via the St Andrews Suspension Bridge
- Richmond Park via the Polmadie Bridge.
- Cycling - The park forms part of the Glasgow to Edinburgh Cycle Route, National Cycle Network Route 75.
Land and Environmental Services
Phone: 0141 287 5064
Land and Environmental Services Events Section
Phone: 0141 287 8302
People's Palace and Winter Gardens
Phone: 0141 276 0788
Glasgow Green Football Centre
Phone: 0141 554 7547
Phone: 0141 636 6920
Glasgow City Council Cycling Line
Phone: 0141 287 9171
Public Transport Journey Information
Phone: 0871 200 22 33