BT unveils 2011 sustainability report
BT unveils 2011 Sustainability Report
BT has reported on the positive steps it has been making in sustainability and corporate responsibility during the past 12 months with the publication of Better Future: BT's 2011 Sustainability report.
Taking corporate responsibility (CR) and sustainability seriously has been important to BT for many years. This year, the company is adding being a responsible and sustainable business leader to its strategic priorities. During the last year, BT maintained gold status in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (a world renowned benchmark of excellence in sustainability) and 'Platinum plus' level in the (Business in the Community) BITC CR Index.
Some highlights of the year include:
- investing £27.6m in projects that directly benefit society (a combination of cash, time and in-kind support). Reflecting the importance of these activities, BT invested nearly double its minimum commitment of one per cent of underlying pre-tax profits.
- reducing energy use by 2.5 per cent, despite growing demand from new services.
- BT people around the world provided more than 49,000 days of volunteering activity in their communities last year (estimated value: £13.8m).
- launching a new energy efficient Home Hub, and a SmartReach joint venture to deliver smart meters to the UK.
- launching BT's 'Get It Together' campaign (an initiative to help get at least 100,000 digitally excluded people in the UK online by 2012).
- launching MyDonate last month (a free online fundraising service to help UK-registered charities raise more money).
- launching a highly acclaimed new procurement standard - a major step forward in encouraging low carbon innovation among suppliers.
- using BT technology and expertise and employee fundraising to support telethons and appeals, enabling £34m to be raised for causes including Children in Need, Comic Relief and the DEC Pakistan appeal.
For the full picture, read either the 2011 sustainability report, or download the short Sustainability Review 2011 Better Future. Both are available at http://www.bt.com/sustainabilityreport.