The main attraction of the park is Hogganfield Loch, a large shallow loch with a wooded island. Hogganfield Park is excellent for birdwatching or simply walking. Access is very easy, with a tarmac path all the way around the loch edge. There is a wide variety of waterbirds on the loch, including some rarities.
The park lies 5km northeast of Glasgow city centre. The park is bounded to the north and west by Cumbernauld Road (A80) and by Avenue End Road (B765) to the east.
48 Hectares (119 Acres)
- This is Glasgow's most important site for migrant and wintering waterbirds, it is also recognised as a key regional site for wildfowl.
- A diverse range of birds is attracted to the loch, with over 100 different species being recorded at the site .
- Many of the birds have become used to the presence of people, and species such as Tufted Duck, Goldeneye and Goosander can be seen at close quarters.
- Occasionally rarer birds such as Slavonian Grebe can be seen and the Smew is a regular winter visitor.
- The woodlands, marsh (including areas of open water) and grassland are managed for nature conservation and support populations of Skylark and Water Vole.
The park has a wide variety of facilities to suit all age groups.
- children's play facility situated in the southeast area of the park
- orienteering course
- sandy beaches beside the loch
- picnic tables
Also within the area you can find
- Golf Course - Lethamhill Golf Course is adjacent to Hogganfield Park and can be accessed from Cumbernauld Road.
- Public toilets
- Lethamhill Golf Course
- Public telephone
- Car park entrance at Cumbernauld Road
In 1920, land was purchased to create the park and was gradually extended in subsequent years.
- The Loch, in conjunction Frankfield Loch, was used as a water supply for various mills.
- Local people used to extract ice from the loch, but this practice stopped by 1866 due to the risk of accidents.
- Two ice houses were created to the north of the loch, where ice could be purchased for a small sum from the Corporation.
- Between 1924 and 1926 the depth of the loch was increased to allow boating and the island was created.
- A tearoom was built near the main gates into the park by 1930 and below the tearoom was the boat house where both rowing and motor boats could be hired. A Pitch and Putt course was also available by this time.
- The island had been designated as a statutory 'Bird Sanctuary'
- By 1975 there was a nature trail round the island where accompanied school groups could visit.
- The trail was closed in the 1980s and the island left undisturbed for wildlife
- The loch and its surrounding woodlands, marsh and grasslands were declared a Local Nature Reserve in 1998.
- Bus - Regular bus services operate between Glasgow city centre and Cumbernauld Road (A 80).
- Car - Follow M8 to Junction 12 and take the A80 (Cumbernauld Road) north for about 0.5 km. Turn right into the main car park, where free parking is available.
Walking - Access points available from Cumbernauld Road
Land and Environmental Services
Phone: 0141 287 5064
Public Transport Journey Information
Phone: 0871 200 22 33