Oatlands As It Was
Oatlands was once characterised by four-storey tenements built at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th. A continuous line of these tenements lined the south-west side of Rutherglen Road, one of Glasgow's arterial routes, with the open ground of Richmond Park, opened in 1899, on the other. Many of the street names are connected with the fifth Earl of Rosebery, British prime minister from 1894-95, (photo of Rosebery Street below) and the area was always regarded as the 'upmarket' end of the Gorbals area. The name 'Oatlands' was originally associated with the south-east corner of Hutchesontown, around where Silverfir Street now stands. Here stood Oatlands House until its 19th century replacement by tenements centred on Oatlands Square.
The original sandstone tenements in the main part of Oatlands were supplemented in 1924 by 132 flats in three-storey-blocks at Logan Street/Elmfoot Street, and in 1934 by 204 similar dwellings at Granton Street/Rosyth Street (commonly known as 'Grey Square' in contrast to the adjacent red-sandstone tenements). Two infill three-storey blocks containing 24 flats were added to Logan Street/Elmfoot Street in 1965, and, over the period 1967-71, 96 flats in three- and four-storey blocks (now refurbished as part of the Oatlands regeneration) were built at Braehead Street, along with a block of 36 one-apartment deck-access pensioner flats (recently converted into mainstream townhouses and flats).
Braehead Street in 1972, and the Ritz Cinema.
In the 1960s, Glasgow Corporation drew up redevelopment plans for Oatlands, but these were never implemented. Although five street blocks of the poorer quality tenements were demolished, the remaining red sandstone tenements, containing 715 dwellings, were refurbished by the Council in the 1970s, one of the first such schemes in the city. Unfortunately, the refurbishment was unsuccessful and the properties (along with the local shops on the ground floor) were demolished in 1998.
The need for comprehensive regeneration of the area was recognised with the establishment of a Steering Group on 30 April 1999. Following considerable public consultation on the best way forward, the development opportunity was advertised in June 2001.