Monuments to John and Mrs Elder in Elder Park
Monuments to John and Isabella Elder in Elder park - both Restored June 2010
John Elder Statue
John Elder like Robert Napier was one of the fathers of modern shipbuilding. Mr Elder developed the compound steam engine that gave Randolph, Elder & Co. a technological edge that led to the Clyde being at the forefront of world shipbuilding. John Elder encouraged his workers to attend evening classes and even paid the fees for those who could not afford them. When he died most businesses in Govan closed as an expression of esteem and respect at the news of his death.
Isabella Elder Statue
Isabella had inherited a considerable fortune and from the 1880's between extended stays on the continent she became a major philanthropist. Her first interest was higher education and she endowed the Elder Chair of Naval Architecture at Glasgow University. She also bought North Park House, in Queen Margaret Drive as the base for the new Queen Margaret College to provide Higher education for women.
When a medical school was attached to the college in 1890 she took on most of the running costs, she eventually and with much difficulty, helped persuade the University to admit women students. In 1885 she provided funds for a school of domestic economy for the training of young girls She also provided £27,000 to meet the cost of building a library and the purchase of books. The Statue is Category A listed and the monument and memorial gardens were fully restored from January to June 2010.