Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 1-4

Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail Art Gallery

Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 1-4

Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail includes 35 sites of interest. If you visit the Kelvingrove Park and use the map available to download here it will take you approximately 1 hour 30 minutes to follow the Heritage trail from Kelvingrove Museum to The Kelvinway Bridge.

1. Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (1901)

Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 1 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window The Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail, which should take approximately an hour and thirty minutes, begins at the recently restored Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, a source of great civic pride for Glaswegians and one of the most visited tourist attractions in the United Kingdom.
This is a building of international importance, housing many outstanding works of art associated with the 'Glasgow School' and a number of world-famous paintings. The Museum includes important collections in the fields of natural history and archaeology as well as breathtaking displays of ceramics, glass, jewellery and furniture.
The museum's architecture can be described as an ebullient red sandstone building in Hispanic Baroque style, embellished with an outstanding array of sculpture and flamboyant pinnacled and domed towers. The architects were Sir J W Simpson and E J Milner Allen in association with George Frampton (best known for 'Peter Pan', Kensington Gardens, and executor of St Mungo on the north porch of the Gallery Museum).
Frampton, one of Britain's foremost 19th century sculptors, was commissioned to supervise and orchestrate the programme of ornamental sculpture on the building, which was carried out by different leading artists. The brief was to celebrate the great historical traditions of art and music, but interwoven together with a thread of national feeling. The building's merits have been recorded fully in the Kelvingrove New Century Project.
Category 'A' Listed

2. The Italian Gardens (1915-1916) at Rear of Kelvingrove Museum
Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 2 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window A representative example of the revived Italian style of formal garden, but lacking intended statuary, which may have raised the quality and interest of the architectural ensemble. The 1915 design is a reduced scheme over that originally planned, on which savings had to be made due to the necessities of the Great War. In an attempt to remedy this long standing criticism, the Italian Gardens have recently undergone a major restoration.

The Gardens feature curved 'exhedra'-type red sandstone walls with moulded cope framing each end of a sunken 'Italian Garden' and linked by a continuous red sandstone wall, broken only by masonry piers and steps leading down from the cobbled carriageway at the rear of the Art Gallery and Museum. The steps and walling feature decorative cast-iron lamp standards, there is also a low sandstone parapet wall flanking Argyle Street.

3. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) War Memorial (1924)
Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 3 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window This iconic memorial to the beloved Cameronians regiment powerfully conveys the harsh realities of First World War trench warfare. The advancing soldier, machine gunner and their fallen compatriot communicate a heartbreaking sense of realism rarely displayed in a war memorial.
The sculptor Lindsey Clark (1889 - 1977) was an army captain who had been awarded a DSO for bravery. The inscription on the monument was later updated to incorporate the fallen from the Second World War.
This magnificent bronze figure group speaks from the heart and the graphic imagery survives in the memory of all who see it.
Category 'B' listed

4. The Normandy Veterans Association Monument (1994)
Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail 4 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window This exquisite monument commemorates the fallen and wounded from the Normandy Landings, a fierce World War Two battle which ran from D Day on the 6th June to the 20th August 1944. This monolithic granite cairn was unveiled on the 21st August 1994, the fiftieth anniversary of the successful conclusion of the Normandy Campaign.
Not Listed

Heritage Trail 5-8 >
Kelvingrove Park Heritage Trail Main Page