City Union Railway Bridge
City Union Railway Bridge - 1899Engineer: William Melville
The City Union Railway Bridge was opened in 1899 and was the first of the permanent Clyde Bridges to have a steel superstructure.
In 1900 the railway system was still expanding in Scotland with keen competition between the big companies.
The two railway bridges across the Clyde were struggling to cope with traffic demands and the City Union Railway Bridge opened in 1899 in response to the demand to carry four tracks into St Enoch Station.
It was built beneath the previous bridge so that the rail traffic could continue to use the lines during construction. It is therefore rather squat in appearance. The bridge served the main routes from the south to the now demolished St Enoch Station.
This was the first of the permanent Clyde Bridges to have a steel superstructure.