Early Learning and Childcare
Our Education Services has 110 Early Years Nurseries and there are also 345 Private and Voluntary childcare providers throughout the City (to include private nurseries, playgroups, child minders', Out of School Care and Crèche facilities.
We are aware of the Importance of early years learning and have all the information you need to make the right choice for your child. We offer a wide range of information on all childcare services (0-5 years) and support services for families and providers.
Please visit the Glasgow Family Information Service (GFIS) website for more information.
For GFIS enquiries please email email@example.com.
Pay your invoice online here.
For all invoice and charging enquiries please email cbsEarlyYears@ced.glasgow.gov.uk.
Or phone 0141 287 4702
Early Learning and Childcare services in and around Glasgow
900 hours free allowance from August 2019
Glasgow City Council is offering 900 free hours for every eligible child from August 2019, an increase of 300 hours to our current 600 statutory provision. This will be available to all families living in Glasgow with a household income of less than £45,000 per year and a child age 3 or 4 or deferred 5 year old, attending a GCC Nursery or one of our Participating Partnership Nurseries.
You will be advised of the outcome at least 4 weeks prior to the new term in August 2019 please wait until then before making contact with the team.
For further information on Early Learning and Childcare visit the GFIS website.
Additional charges for meals and snacks will apply. You can apply for free meals on our website here.
If you do not have online access, please contact CBSEarlyYears900hours@glasgow.gov.uk for assistance.
Is my child eligible for 900 free hours?
- You must be a Glasgow resident to be eligible to apply. Our team will check applications against our address database for confirmation
- Your child must be aged 3, 4 or deferred 5 years old to be eligible for 900 hours (NB you can apply now if your child is not yet 3 but will be for this term i.e. August 2019 to June 2020)
- The parent/carer combined income must be less than £45,000 per year. This is the gross amount before tax and national insurance deductions
- Your child must attend a Glasgow City Council nursery or an associated Partnership nursey.
What evidence do I need to submit for 900 free hours?
- If you are employed and do not receive benefits then your most recent payslip or P60 should be provided
- If you are employed and receive Tax Credit then your most recent payslip or P60 together with your most recent Tax Credit notice should be provided
- If you are in receipt of full benefit then your most recent benefit entitlement letter should be provided
A Blueprint for 2020 - The Expansion of Early Learning and Childcare in Scotland
- The Scottish Government has set out plans to increase the number of hours children across the country can access for free at nursery
- At the moment all 3 and 4 year olds and some 2 year olds receive 600 hours of early learning and childcare for free
- Under the new plans, this will increase to 1140 hours, almost double the current level of entitlement
- Further information and details on Council's expansion plans 2017 - 2020
Links to other information services