Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Universal Credit

Get in Touch

  • Phone 0800 328 5644

What is it?

Universal Credit will bring together a range of working-age benefits into a single streamlined payment. Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Child tax credits.
  • Housing benefit.
  • Income-related employment and support allowance.
  • Income-based job seekers allowance.
  • Income support.
  • Working tax credits.

How do I apply for Universal Credit?

Visit the Department for Work and Pensions website to make an application or to find out further information on Universal Credit.

What support is available to me?

Support from Glasgow City Council and our partners

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) expects that the vast majority of Universal Credit claims will be made on line. If you need some help to make your Universal Credit claim then we can provide you with free advice, training on how to use a computer or access to use a computer. You can phone our dedicated Universal Credit helpline on 0808 169 9901 or go to our webpage and you will be given advice on the best service available to you.

Support from DWP

You can also contact DWP for support and advice by telephoning the Universal Credit Service Centre on 0800 328 5644 (free phone available from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).

Can I get any additional help?

Universal Credit does not include Council Tax Reduction, you must apply for this separately.
If you receive the housing cost element in Universal Credit and need additional financial support so that you can meet a rent shortfall or other housing costs, you may qualify for a Discretionary Housing Payment. Please provide a copy of your online Universal Credit award alongside your Discretionary Housing Payment application. If you are entitled to Universal Credit, payments will be made one month in arrears. In Scotland you can request that your monthly entitlement is paid to you in two instalments each month. See Scottish Choices for more information on this.

Will I get Universal Credit?

New claims for Universal Credit began in Glasgow on 8th June 2015. Universal Credit is being introduced in stages but will eventually be rolled out to all groups.

Universal Credit Full Service applies to some postcode areas within the Glasgow City Council boundary. From 4th October 2017, households in postcodes G71 7 and G76 9 and from 4th April 2018, households in postcode G69 0 who would otherwise have claimed Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Based), Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefit, should apply for Universal Credit.

Until January 2019, families with more than two children will not be able to make a new claim to Universal Credit. Families with more than two children should continue to claim legacy benefits as appropriate i.e. Housing Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Universal Credit Full Service Rollout Timetable
DatePostcodes in Jobcentre area
19th September 2018Govan
26th September 2018Laurieston
31st October 2018Partick
5th December 2018Castlemilk
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services