Skip to content
Glasgow City Council


Book an appointment

Contact Registrars

Important Information

Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) there have been changes made to this service.   For further advice and guidance about the Registrars service please read our dedicated services update page

Following Government advice there will be no ceremonies taking place with immediate effect.  Marriage Schedules will not be issued for forthcoming ceremonies until further notice.

We thank you for your patience during this time.

What do I need to do?

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

Here you can find information and guidance on getting married in Glasgow. The minimum notice for marriage in Scotland is 29 days.

If coming into the office in person you need to make an appointment to submit marriage notice forms (M10 forms).  Both M10 forms should be completed prior to your appointment visit.

Please read the information contained in this section below prior to your appointment.

How to make an appointment?

Please allow sufficient time to arrange an appointment.  You can make an appointment by using our .  Appointments are available Monday to Friday except public holidays.

The office is located at:

Service Desk
45 John Street
G1 1JQ

Types of marriage?

You can be married in either of two ways in Scotland - by a civil ceremony or a religious or belief ceremony:

  • Civil Ceremony
    This ceremony may take place in a registration office or at any place mutually agreed between the couple and the local registration authority, other than religious premises.

Click the link for more information on Civil Marriage and Civil Partnership Ceremonies in Glasgow

  • Religious or Belief Marriage
    This ceremony can be solemnised only by a minister, clergyman, pastor, priest or other person entitled to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977.

How and when to give notice of marriage?

Each party to a marriage must complete and submit a marriage notice NRS - M10 Form, along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place.

Timing is important. The notices must be submitted early enough to enable the registrar to be satisfied that you are free to marry one another. Normally notices should be handed in about 8 - 10 weeks before the marriage but if either party has been married before, the notices should be with the registrar 10 weeks beforehand. The minimum period is 28 clear days before the date of the proposed marriage, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone your marriage.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a marriage to take place if 28 clear days notice has not been given.

Marriage notices can be submitted in person by making an appointment to attend the above office or alternatively you can arrange to post them with photocopies of the appropriate documents (original documents must be submitted to the office before the date of the ceremony) and fee in the form of a cheque or postal order made payable to Glasgow City Council to the address below.  Please ensure necessary contact details are included i.e. UK landline or mobile number and email address.   If you do intend to post your paperwork please contact the office in advance to advise us at mar&


Registration Office
City Chambers
George Square
G2 1DU

The following information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

What documents do I need to produce?

When submitting marriage notice forms to the registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • your birth certificate;
  • your passport;
  • proof of current/usual residence - for e.g. Utility bill (not older than 3 months); bank/building society statement (not older than 1 month); most recent council tax bill; valid UK driving licence; letter signed by someone able to confirm period of residence at address e.g. relative accommodating individual (further supporting evidence may be needed);
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final-a decree nisi is not acceptable;
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse;
  • if your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry.
  • if any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided;
  • if you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form Home Office.

How much does it cost?

To be married in Scotland the statutory fee to submit marriage notice forms is £30.00 each and £10.00 for the marriage extract making a total of £70.00.

Please note that additional fees are payable for the Registrar to conduct the ceremony and these vary according to where and when the ceremony is taking place

If you are having a religious or belief marriage please contact your celebrant for the fees involved in conducting your ceremony.

Marriage Fees

How do I pay?

The preferred method of payment at the Service Desk is by Debit/Credit Card. Registration staff will be unable to accept cash payments. However, you will be able to pay for transactions involving cash/cheque at a separate cash office within the Service Desk.

    Who can be married in Scotland?

    Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may marry in Scotland provided that:

    • both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day of their marriage,
    • they are not related to one another in a way which would prevent their marrying,
    • each is unmarried or not already registered as a civil partner (any person who has already been married or registered as a civil partner must produce documentary evidence that the previous marriage or civil partnership has been ended by death, divorce, annulment or dissolution),
    • they are capable of understanding the nature of a marriage ceremony and of consenting to marriage,
    • in the case of opposite sex marriage, the marriage would be regarded as valid in the party's country of domicile

    Marriage schedule

    When the registrar is satisfied there is no legal impediment to the marriage a marriage schedule will be prepared from the information you have given. The Schedule is a most important document - no marriage can proceed without it.

    If you are having a religious marriage the marriage Schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. The schedule cannot be issued more than seven days before the marriage and the registrar will advise you when to call. The schedule cannot be collected on your behalf by a relative or friend - the registrar will issue it only to one of the prospective parties.

    The marriage schedule must be produced before the marriage ceremony to the person performing the marriage.

    Immediately after the ceremony the schedule must be signed by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the two witnesses. Thereafter, it must be returned to the registrar within three days in order to register the marriage.

    If you are having a civil marriage, a marriage schedule will not be issued but the registrar will have it available at the marriage ceremony for signature. Subsequently the marriage will be registered.

    Marriage certificate

    After the marriage has been registered you can obtain copies of the marriage certificate from the registrar on payment of the appropriate fee of £10.00.

    If you live outside the United Kingdom

    The normal procedure of giving notice to the registrar in Scotland must be followed but as previously mentioned an additional requirement is placed upon you.

    If, being domiciled in a country outside the UK, you are subject to the marriage laws of that country, you should obtain if practicable a certificate issued by the competent authority (usually the civil authority) in that country to the effect that there is no impediment to your proposed marriage. If the certificate is in a language other than English, you should also produce a certified translation. In the absence of such a certificate without good reason being shown, it may not be possible for you to marry in Scotland.

    If you are now resident in the UK and have lived here for the last two years or more you need not submit such a certificate.

    If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form Home Office

    If you are in any doubt about what is required, or if you require further information, you should consult the registrar.

    Please note: this information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

    What if I want to get married abroad?

    If you want to get married outside of the United Kingdom, please visit National Records of Scotland getting married abroad website.

    Guidance on changing a civil partnership to marriage

    Conversion of a civil partnership to marriage

    If you are already in a civil partnership and wish to take the administration route please contact the registrars office of choice to book a date and time. Please bring with you:

    • Civil partnership certificate.
    • Form of photographic identification for both parties. i.e. passport or driver's licence

    If you wish to convert to marriage going through a ceremony please read the information provided regarding marriage.

    What happens if I am late for my appointment?

    You should aim to arrive at the Service Desk in time for your appointment.  If you are late we may not able to accommodate you, your appointment will be rescheduled.

    Can I reschedule an appointment?

    When you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email.  This email also includes instructions on how to cancel or reschedule your appointment. 

    We only have a limited number of appointments that we can offer each day.  If you arrange an appointment and are unable to attend, please ensure that you cancel or reschedule your appointment.


    Should unforeseeable circumstances prevent my ceremony from proceeding as planned at the agreed date and time, Glasgow City Council shall not incur any liability. For the avoidance of doubt, unforeseeable circumstances include fire, flood, severe adverse weather conditions, casualty, lock-out, strike, labour disputes, industrial action of any kind, unavoidable accident, national calamity or riot, act of god, the enactment of any act of parliament or the act of any other legally constituted authority, any cause or event arising out of or attributable to war, or any other cause or event (whether of a similar or dissimilar nature) outside the control of Glasgow City Council.

    Share this page:

    A to Z:

    Council Services