Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Home Food Production and Catering

  • Phone 0141 287 1059

Glasgow City Assessor


  • Phone 0141 287 4444

Where do I start?

You are required by law to register your business with the environmental health service at your local authority at least 28 days before opening. Registration is free.

For information on food industry regulations visit the Food Standards Agency website.

Do I require food hygiene training?

It is important that food handlers have adequate knowledge to prepare and supply food that is safe to eat. This will normally require the attendance at a food hygiene training course. The REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Course or its equivalent is recommended in most cases. For further information visit the Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland website.

What are the requirements?

The Food Standards Agency have produced a booklet Food hygiene - a guide for businesses.

For additional information visit:

  • Cooksafe
  • Cross contamination
  • Labelling

What else do I need to consider?

Planning: Advice and guidance from the planning department should be sought prior to any business commencing at a residential property.

Working from home: you may be charged business rates if you use part of your home for your business on a permanent basis. This may or may not affect the level of Council Tax you have to pay. For further information contact the City Assessor.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services