Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Apply for a Personal Licence

Do I need a Personal Licence?

A Personal Licence allows you to supervise and authorises the sale and supply of alcohol in Licensed Premises.

If you intend to work as the designated Premises Manager on licensed premises you need to hold a current Personal Licence.

A Personal Licence also allows you to apply for Occasional Licences and provide certain forms of training to staff in licensed premises.

How do I apply?

How much does it cost?

It costs £50 to apply for the grant or renewal of a Personal Licence.

The application will not be accepted without the correct fee.

For further information refer to our pdf icon Fees and Charges [427kb] document.

How do I renew my Personal Licence?

A Personal Licence lasts for 10 years.  The expiry date is shown on your licence.  You must apply to renew your licence if you want to continue to use it beyond the expiry date.

Your application can only be submitted within a 9 month period starting 12 months before the expiry of the licence.

You can use our to check when you can lodge your application and what documents are required.

The Scottish Government has published a detailed communications document on the Personal Licence renewal process.  The Licensing Board will process applications in line with the Government's recommended approach.

How do I update my Licence?

The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 places a number of administrative duties on a Personal Licence Holder including requirements to undergo Refresher Training and to advise the Licensing Board of any change to your name or address.

Please refer to our guidance on the administrative duties of a Personal Licence Holder for more information.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services