Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Getting Started

Contact Stalled Spaces

  • Phone 0141 287 8555


This programme is now closed.

What is it?

Stalled Spaces is a programme introduced by Glasgow City Council to support community groups and local organisations across the city develop temporary projects on stalled sites or under utilised open spaces.  

How to get involved?

Do you know of an open space area in your community that is vacant, overgrown, unused or simply an eyesore?

Do you want to transform it into something special:

  • a play space,
  • a social space,
  • an art space,
  • a growing space,
  • an events space,
  • a space for wildlife,
  • a wee space ... for a wee while?

What can I do?

You can make it happen and Stalled Spaces may be able to help.

  • Find out if other people share your vision and want change.
  • Get together - gather ideas - what would people like to see?
  • Travel around the city - see other projects - get more ideas, form partnerships.
  • Approach the land owner, discuss the community's ideas for the space and get the permission to use the space temporarily.
  • Get local groups and organisations - schools, businesses, housing associations etc. on board and involved.
  • Come up with a plan, a design or a sketch, something to show the community and potential funders.
  • Look for sources of funding and secure funding.
  • Get the volunteers and other helpers together and transform the space.
  • Enjoy your Stalled Space!

Stalled spaces assistance

If you are considering applying for Community Support for Stalled Spaces, we would suggest that you get in touch with us for a pre-application discussion.

Our team can review your proposal and provide guidance on strengthening your application, if necessary.

Stalled Spaces team can advise on:

  • Similar local initiatives to learn from and partner with
  • Clarifying land ownership
  • Generating community interest and involvement
  • Creating a constituted community group
  • Designing your space
  • Costing projects and researching possible suppliers
  • Other funding avenues

For further advice or for an initial discussion, please contact the stalled spaces officer.  It would be helpful if you could provide some of the following information when calling:

  • Name of Community Group/Land Owner/Developer
  • Main contact details
  • Is the group constituted?
  • Address of proposed development
  • How would you like to use the space?


You may submit your query or request for preliminary discussion by filling out the Stalled Spaces Enquiry Form.

Contact Stalled Spaces

  • Phone 0141 287 8555

Related content

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services