Glasgow City Council

Universal Credit

Get in Touch

  • Phone 0345 6000 723

What is it?

Universal Credit will bring together a range of working-age benefits into a single streamlined payment. Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Child tax credits.
  • Housing benefit.
  • Income-related employment and support allowance.
  • Income-based job seekers allowance.
  • Income support.
  • Working tax credits.

Will I get Universal Credit?

New claims for Universal Credit began in Glasgow on 8th June 2015. Universal Credit is being introduced in stages but will eventually be rolled out to all groups. In Glasgow, Universal Credit currently only applies to single people who would have qualified for job seekers allowance (income based).

From 4th October 2017, Universal Credit Full Service will expand to two postcode areas within the Glasgow City Council boundary. This means that all households in postcodes G71 7 and G76 9 who would otherwise have claimed Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Based), Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefit , should apply for Universal Credit.

At the present time families with more than two children, who have not been in receipt of Universal Credit within the previous six months, will not be able to claim Universal Credit. Families with more than two children should continue to claim legacy benefits as appropriate i.e. Housing Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Can I get any additional help?

Universal Credit does not include council tax reduction, you must apply for this separately.
If you receive Universal Credit and the housing cost element does not cover your full rent cost, you may qualify for a Discretionary Housing Payment. Please provide a copy of your online Universal Credit award alongside your Discretionary Housing Payment application.

How do I apply?

Visit the Department for Work and Pensions website to make an application or to find out further information on Universal Credit.  For support and advice, telephone the Universal Credit Service Centre on 0345 6000 723.

Get in Touch

  • Phone 0345 6000 723

Related content

Share this page:

Help us improve this page:

A to Z:

Council Services