Glasgow City Council

Register to Vote

Annual Household Canvass

Every year the Electoral Registration Officer is required to conduct a canvass of all households in Glasgow to establish who is eligible to vote.

Since the introduction of Individual Electoral Registration in September 2014, there have been a lot of changes in how the canvass operates and how you register to vote.

For the 2017 household canvass, Glasgow's Electoral Registration Office is taking part in a pilot project with the Cabinet Office to improve the way the canvass operates and make it a more user friendly process for householders and residents to respond and register to vote.

Usually you must respond to the canvass form we send to you and tell us if there has been a change to your household or if your household details remain the same. This year it will depend which one of the two letter types you receive as to whether you need to provide a response.

You can easily identify the letter type on the first page of the letter it will be either a Household Enquiry Form or a Household Notification Letter.  Please note if you have a booklet then this is a Household Enquiry Form.

Household Enquiry Form

If you have received a Household Enquiry Form then you do need to respond and confirm whether there has been any change to your household and if there are changes what these are. The letter will tell you what to do and how to respond.

The response options available for a Household Enquiry Form are:

Household Notification Letter

If you have received a Household Notification Letter then you do not need to respond and tell us if there has been no change to your household.

If however, the household details are incorrect the letter will tell you how to amend the details.

You can amend the details online at or by phoning our office on 0141 287 4444.

How can I register?

You can register-to-vote here.

*Crown servants, British council employees and members of the armed forces can also use this link*

The electoral registration office can also be contacted on 0141 287 4444 and a member of staff will complete the application process for you over the phone.

You can also download paper copies of the registration forms and send them by post.

Remember every time you move address you need to register again.

What will I need to provide?

You will need to provide your National Insurance number, date of birth and nationality when you register for your identity to be verified.

If you do not have a National Insurance number you will be asked to provide evidence of your identity pdf icon click here [112kb] to see a list of accepted documents.  Once you have submitted your application to register you can scan and email your documentary evidence to  Please include your full name and address on your correspondence

If you have lost or forgotten your National Insurance number you can phone the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500.  They will not provide your details over the phone but they will post them to you.  For more information visit

Who can register to vote?

You can register to vote from 15 years of age and your details will be added to the register from the date you become eligible, usually your 16th birthday.

You will not be able to vote until you become eligible which depends on the type of election.

In order to vote in an election you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your name must be on the Electoral Register

  • You must be 16 or over for Scottish Elections and 18 or over for UK Elections

  • You must be a British, Irish or European Union citizen.  

  • Or a Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK.

  • You must not be legally incapable of voting.

    Citizens of the European Union and Peers have restricted voting rights.

What happens if I don't register?

You must register if you're asked to do so, if you don't you could be fined £80.

Please let us know if you have a valid reason for not registering, such as:

  • long term hospital stay
  • severe learning difficulties
  • legally incapable
  • not an EU or Commonwealth citizen

How do I check if I am on the register?

The only way to check if you are on the electoral register is to contact the Electoral Registration Office direct.  This information is not available online and we can only provide details relevant to you, details of other electors cannot be disclosed.

Have you changed your name?

If you have changed your name and need to update the Electoral Register you need to complete a Change of Name form and provide documentary evidence. 

You can return forms by post to address on form or visit the Service Desk at 45 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JE.  Please do not provide original documents, copies are accepted. 

Alternatively you can scan your completed application and evidence and email as an attachment to

pdf icon Download form here [287kb]

Can I register to vote anonymously?

If you are concerned that having your name or address on the register may affect your safety, there is an option to register as anonymous and your name and address will not appear on the register.

Applicants need documentary evidence of a court order or attestation from certain qualified persons to support their application.

Please contact us if you require further information and for an application form.

What if I don't have a fixed address?

You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. This may be because you are:

  • A patient in a mental health hospital.
  • A homeless person.
  • A person remanded in custody.

You have to complete a declaration of local connection form, please contact us for further information and for a form to be provided if your circumstances are relevant to this situation.

Share this page:

Help us improve this page:

A to Z:

Council Services