Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Renting from a Housing Association

More information

What is it?

Registered social landlords are also known as housing associations and co-operatives.  They are independent, non-profit-making organisations, which provide homes for people to rent, buy or both.  

Registered social landlords offer a range of accommodation across Glasgow to meet a range of needs, including:

  • housing for older people
  • sheltered housing
  • accommodation for younger people and
  • housing for vulnerable people with specific needs

Housing associations and co-operatives in Glasgow are regulated by the Scottish Housing Regulator, who maintain a register of Social Landlords and ensure Landlords deliver good quality housing for the benefit of tenants and others.

What is the criteria?

Anyone aged 16 and over can apply to live in a Housing Association or co-operative property. You do not need to live in Glasgow to make an application.

In some parts of Glasgow you may need to complete an application form for each housing association or co-operative you have chosen. In other parts, a number of Housing Associations may use a common application form which allows you to apply for housing with several associations at once.

Glasgow Housing Register is an online Common Housing Register being piloted in the Northwest of the City, with a view to citywide rollout.  Applicants can complete one online application form to apply to many Housing Associations in the area.

Before being placed on a waiting list, applications are assessed and prioritised according to the Allocations Policy of the Housing Association to which they  have applied. When a house becomes available, the Allocations Policy is used to decide to whom the house should be let. 

How long you will have to wait for a house may depend on a number of factors including:

  • How popular the area is which you have chosen
  • The type of house you are looking for
  • Whether you qualify for any priority which will enable you to be housed more quickly.

Repairs and Maintenance

Housing associations and co-operatives are responsible for ensuring that properties are fit for human habitation, including being wind and watertight. They are also responsible for permanent fixtures, such as sinks and central heating systems.

Tenants are responsible for internal decoration, furnishing and removable fittings. Contact your landlord to report a repair.

If your landlord needs to get access to carry out a repair, they should let you know in writing at least 24 hours beforehand.

The Right to Repair Scheme applies to all housing associations, co-operatives and water and sewerage authorities. The scheme gives all tenants the right to have small urgent repairs carried out within a given timescale. Compensation is payable if the repair is not completed on time.

Advantages/disadvantages of renting from Housing Association


  • Excellent tenancy rights - you can decide when you want to move
  • Housing costs are fairly predictable - rent, Council Tax, gas and electricity bills
  • Landlords are willing to accept housing benefit
  • Typically lower rents than the private rented sector
  • the Scottish Housing Regulator regulates housing associations and co-operatives to ensure tenants receive a good standard of service and accommodation
  • Properties are maintained by each housing association or co-operative.


  • Access for most people is via the waiting list. You will need to fill in an application form first
  • You may have to apply to more than one landlord
  • There may be a very long wait (months or even years) for properties in some areas
  • Properties are usually completely unfurnished.
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services