Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Specialist Housing

Get in touch

  • Phone 0141 287 0555

What is it?

There is a range of specialist housing to meet the specific needs of Glasgow's older citizens, people with disabilities and people with particular needs wishing to live as independently as is practically possible.

Housing for people with particular needs is designed or adapted to meet their needs and can include specific or additional support. Usually it involves either specially built or adapted housing, for example, housing for older people or people with disabilities, or houses linked to a support facility such as those for adults with learning disabilities.

If you think that you need specialist housing, housing with support, or to move home on health, medical or other special grounds, contact your nearest Social Work Office who will be able to advise and help you.

Glasgow City Council does not directly provide any mainstream or specialist housing, except intensively staffed residential care, largely for older people, and emergency accommodation for people who are homeless.

The House Key is the Scottish directory of housing support services. It gives you information on services that provide practical help with everyday activities at home.

Housing for older people

Glasgow City Council provides a range of services for older people.

Housing associations and co-operatives provide a range of accommodation options across Glasgow. This includes sheltered, very sheltered or amenity houses, and community alarm systems.

The main providers in Glasgow are:

Specialist and supported accommodation

Housing for People with Mental Health Problems, Disabilities or Particular Needs

The following organisations offer a wide range of specialist and supported accommodation and services, including information and advice, in Glasgow for anyone with Particular Needs.

Services for refugees and asylum seekers

Glasgow City Council provides information on services for asylum seekers and refugees.

The Chartered Institute of Housing Scotland provide information on housing rights for refugees.

The Scottish Refugee Council provides a safe and welcoming service for asylum seekers and refugees.

Get in touch

  • Phone 0141 287 0555
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services