Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

How to apply for an Major Variation

The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 allows the holder of a Premises Licence to make a number of minor variations to their licence.  A major variation is any variation to the Premises Licence other than those defined as minor variations.

How do I apply?

Read our pdf icon guidance on applying [161kb] for information on the application process including details of:

  • How to lodge an application
  • Supporting documents required
  • How the application will be processed
  • The time it will take to get a decision
  • What to do if you are unhappy with the decision

How much does it cost?

Please refer to our pdf icon Fees and Charges [250kb] document for details of the current fee and accepted payment methods.

The application will not be accepted without the correct fee.

How to make Payment

Applications can be lodged online and preferred payment should be made by BACS Transfer (electronic banking) to the Licensing Board Account. 

When making payments please quote your licence reference number as detailed below:-

Account Name: Glasgow City Council - Licensing
Account No. 00116224
Sort Code: 83-44-00
Reference: GCxxxx/Major.

Please note that your application will not be formally lodged until payment has been received.  The fees are non-refundable. 

Can someone object to an application?

In terms of the Licensing (Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 2007, the Licensing Board is required to give notice an application for major variation during the first 21 days of the consultation period.

pdf icon Public Notice of Premises Licence Applications [76kb]

During this 28 day consultation period any individual can object or make a representation to the application.

Read our guidance on making an objection or representation for more information.



Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services