Council's Executive Committee approves over £567,000 of funding to complete the restoration of the B-listed former Parkhead Public School in Westmuir Street.
The council and project partners Glasgow Building Preservation Trust, Historic Environment Scotland and Parkhead Housing Association have been working for a number of years on bringing this historic building back to productive use. Additional previous funding has also come from the Scottish Government's Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
The restoration of the former school building, which has lain vacant since 1990, is part of a wider programme - the Parkhead Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) - whose second phase has over the past five years delivered investment and improvement to the historic fabric of the area.
The restoration of the former Parkhead Public School was identified as a priority for the THI's second stage, with works beginning in July 2016. Glasgow Building Preservation Trust is currently overseeing these works, which include repairs to the historic fabric and a fit out of the interior into a local enterprise centre with approximately 15,000 square feet of office space.
Parkhead Housing Association will take ownership of the building once the restoration is complete, and this is expected by Spring 2018.
The funding of £567,824 from the council will allow necessary works, such as structural propping and additional stonework, to take place and complete the building's restoration.
Councillor Kenny McLean, City Convener for Neighbourhoods, Housing and Public Realm, said: "The restoration of the former Parkhead Public School is a crucial part of the regeneration of Parkhead Cross and the East End, and this funding from the council will bring economic and environmental benefits to the community as and after the project is complete. We can look forward to a centre bringing jobs and investment at this fantastic building."
The Category B-listed Parkhead Public School was constructed in two phases, in 1878 and 1887.