Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Civil Marriage and Civil Partnership Ceremonies in Glasgow

Get in touch

Important Information

Update: 9 August 2021


Please note, the service is currently receiving an exceptionally high volume of notices and emails and so, response time is taking longer than normal as the team work to get through the backlog. 

Additionally, provided you have returned the necessary forms within the statutory 29 day minimum notice period, there is no need to contact us to check the progress. Unless, there is an emergency due to terminal illness or other as we are working in date order.

Whilst Glasgow moves to beyond level 0 of COVID-19 restrictions, from Monday 9th August 2021, Glasgow City Council has taken the decision to maintain 1m physical distancing measures for the time being and therefore, the maximum capacity for our ceremony rooms remain unchanged.

23 Montrose Street can accommodate up to 28 people in the Kelvin Room and 11 in the Clyde Room, this includes the couple, Registrar and any children/babies. 

Face coverings for an indoor ceremony are required, this includes children age 5 and over. Update 14th October - The regulations will include exemptions for couples getting married at a wedding or during their civil partnership and can include the registrar, if they wish. Couples should however arrive wearing face masks and also wear these in any communal areas. 

*Couples who plan to have their ceremony in the Registrars Room (4 only) please provide alternative dates, as preferred first option may not be available*

Please remember to include contact details to arrange payment - Please note however, we are moving towards a cashless system, therefore, ALL payments should now be in the form of credit/debit card. Going forward you should avoid sending cheques as we will be unable to accept payment in this form. 

If you have already lodged notice and your arrangements have changed and wish a refund, then please email mar& with the heading refund and name of couple. As we are receiving a high number of emails, responses will be dealt with in order, we thank you for your patience at this time.

Notice forms will only be accepted and lodged if;

You have a minister/celebrant etc. arranged to deliver your ceremony in Glasgow and require the Registrar's service to produce a schedule document permitting the ceremony to take place


You have arranged a booking to be married with Glasgow Registrars, in our office or by one of our Registrar's in a third-party venue.


Your planned date of marriage is between 29 days and three months ahead of the arrival of your notice forms and documents at the City Chambers office.

We can only accept notice forms and their supporting documents by post - Address below.

Where a couple are unable to give the required 29 days notice (e.g. due to serious illness of one of the parties), then please email mar& for advice.

Please refer to our FAQ's below prior to sending notice.

Please post notices to: Registration Office,  Glasgow City Council, City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow G2 1DU

Please include photocopies of the appropriate documents.We do not advise you to include any original documents in the post at this time, this would include original passports; birth certificates etc.  Original documents must be submitted to the office before the date of the ceremony by arrangement with the Registrar. 

The fee in the form of a cheque or postal order made payable to Glasgow City Council can be included.

Please arrange to include contact details and a member of our team will be in touch to arrange payment over the phone by credit/debit card to allow us to lodge your notice or to check any additional information.  Contact details should  include a UK landline or mobile number and email address.








About us

Congratulations on choosing Glasgow as the venue for your forthcoming marriage/civil partnership.  We want to make your day as special and memorable as possible. 

At Glasgow Registrars our experienced team can help guide you through the process of organising your ceremony, making sure your day is a unique and personal occasion. 

The Registrar is not only able to conduct the ceremony but can also provide advice and guidance on all aspects of the legal preliminaries, making us the ideal choice for your special day.

Let our professional and experienced staff help you plan a ceremony to remember, from the beginning of your journey until you say "I Do".

Which type of ceremony are you planning?

You can be married or have a civil partnership in either of two ways in Scotland - by civil ceremony (Conducted by a Registrar) or by a religious or belief ceremony:

  • Civil Ceremony
    This ceremony may take place in a registration office or at any place mutually agreed between the couple and the local registration authority, other than religious premises.  The ceremony can be personalized to suit your individual tastes and needs.  Your day, your way!
  • Religious or Belief Ceremony
    This ceremony can be solemnised only by a minister, clergyman, pastor, priest or other person entitled to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977 and the Civil Partnership Act 2004.  Please click here for guidance on the legal preliminaries and how to arrange an appointment.

Where can my ceremony take place?

Our team will help make your special day a truly memorable occasion.  We have a team of experienced Registrars who can help arrange a ceremony that is individual to you, whether you want a small intimate ceremony or a large elaborate occasion.  We can conduct ceremonies at many venues throughout the city, as well as our ceremony rooms in 23 Montrose Street and the City Chambers.

Other venues within Glasgow

Choosing a venue for your special day will be one of the biggest decisions you need to make when organising your ceremony.  Civil marriage ceremonies can take place almost anywhere, allowing a much greater choice of venue.  Many couples choose to have their ceremony outside of the Registration Office and we can provide you with a Register who will conduct the ceremony, just as we would for a ceremony in the Registration Office.  You can be married in a hotel, your own home or a place that is special to you both.

COVID-19 guidance advises that currently no ceremonies can take place inside a private dwelling.

To help plan in advance and organise your ceremony we can take bookings for a Registrar to conduct your ceremony, at any location within Glasgow mutually agreed by the local registration authority and the couple, up to two years in advance.

How much does it cost?

Costs will depend on your chosen venue, date and number of guests.  pdf icon Please click here for current fees. [279kb]

How can I personalize my ceremony?

Your ceremony is personal to you both.  Whether you want an intimate, elaborate, traditional or contemporary occasion we can help you create that special day - "Your Day, Your Way"

You might want to incorporate a symbolic gesture like a Hand-Fasting, Rose, Quaich or Oathing Stone ceremony in which family and friends can participate.  You may also have your own special ideas that you wish to include that the Registrar would be happy to discuss with you.  You would need to provide any necessary items for the enhancement i.e. ribbons, stone, quaich.

To make the ceremony more personal, you can choose your own vows and promises or select readings and poetry.

Music is another way of making your ceremony personal and memorable for you and your guests.  Many couples choose a song for entering the room, another for signing the schedule and a final song for exiting the venue.

For some of the most popular enhancements, poems and readings which can be included in you ceremony see below:

pdf icon Poems and Readings [106kb]

pdf icon Enchancements [231kb]

How do I book?

To book your civil ceremony in Glasgow, first you need to decide on a date and choose a venue.  Once you have decided on where and when you would like to have your ceremony you can make a booking with a Registrar.

Bookings can be made up to 2 years in advance, with the exception of the City Chambers venue which can be only be booked up to one year in advance.

Contact the office using the enquiry form with your preferred location, date and time and we can check availability.

Once we have checked availability, we will contact you to confirm your booking details.  You will be asked to pay a non-refundable booking fee to secure your ceremony details.  Instructions on how to do this will be included in your confirmation of availability email.

Where you wish a ceremony of just the couple and two witnesses, a booking can only be made when you submit notice forms.  This can be done up to a maximum of 3 months in advance.

What happens next?

When you have confirmed your booking you will be given information regarding the legal preliminaries and when to submit your paperwork.  Please see below for further information on how to do this.

For larger ceremonies we will issue you with a ceremony planner which will provide information and guidance about any additions or enhancements to be included in your ceremony.

When you submit your marriage/civil partnership notice forms we will discuss your ceremony requirements for the day in more detail.

Whilst you may already have given information about any ceremony additions any amendments to enhancements, readings, music can be confirmed nearer to the day.

Then simply relax and enjoy your big day when it arrives!

What paperwork do I need?

Each party to a marriage must complete and submit a marriage notice NRS - M10 Form along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place. For a civil partnership the same information applies but you must download a NRS- CP10 Form.

Timing is important. The completed notice forms must be submitted early enough to enable the registrar to be satisfied that you are free to marry / civil partner one another. Normally notices should be handed in about 8 - 10 weeks before the ceremony but if either party has been married /civil partnered before, the notices should be with the registrar 10 weeks beforehand. If either party is resident outside of the EU, we would recommend that notice is submitted 10-12 weeks before the date of the ceremony.

The minimum period is 28 clear days before the date of the proposed ceremony, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone your ceremony.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a ceremony to take place if 28 clear days notice has not been given.

There is no face to face appointments available at this time.  You can arrange to post notice forms, together with photocopies of your documents (original documents must be produced to the office at least one week before the ceremony, with prior arrangement with the registrar), and fee in the form of a cheque or postal order made payable to Glasgow City Council to the address below.  Please ensure you include necessary contact details i.e. UK landline or mobile number and email address. 

Please do not post notices for a civil marriage unless you have made a prior booking with the Registrar. If you have not made a prior booking please contact the office using the enquiry form with your preferred location, date and time and we can check availability. Once we have checked availability, we will contact you to confirm your booking details.


Registration Office
City Chambers
George Square
G2 1DU


The following information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Please note that failure to submit your forms in a timely manner and with the associated documents may result in your ceremony not going ahead.

When submitting marriage/civil partnership notice forms to the registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • your birth certificate;
  • your passport;
  • proof of current/usual residence - for e.g. Utility bill (not older than 3 months); bank/building society statement (not older than 1 month); most recent council tax bill; valid UK driving licence; letter signed by someone able to confirm period of residence at address e.g. relative accommodating individual (further supporting evidence may be needed);
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final-a decree nisi is not acceptable;
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse;
  • if your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry.
  • if any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided;

if you are a non UK national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form Home Office


Our team here at Glasgow Registrars will do our best to assist you every step of the way.  We want to make your day as special and memorable as possible.

Below are a selection of comments we have received from couples who have been married or had a civil partnership conducted by a Registrar in Glasgow.

  • Thank you so much for putting the "special" into our day
  • All the staff we encountered during the booking process through to the actual day were without exception polite and professional
  • Thoughtful, kind and compassionate - you set us on our journey together
  • Really clear information and fantastic service that was exceptional when submitting marriage notice forms
  • Your warm and relaxed manner really helped make our ceremony very special
  • You played a leading part in making an important event for us, a memorable one
  • Jovial and fun loving, making such a formal occasion a very happy event
  • It was very special for us and we enjoyed your style and humour
  • We got great photos and will remember the day very fondly
  • It felt so personal and warm, chilled and relaxed, just what we wanted
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services