Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Privacy Notice - Choiceworks - Referred

Who we are:

Glasgow City Council (GCC) is a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. Its head office is located at City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow G2 1DU, United Kingdom, and you can contact our Data Protection Officer by post at this address, by email and by telephone on  0141 287 1055.

What information do we have and where did we get it from?

We have received personal information about you from one of the following agencies - Glasgow City Council Social Work Services, SACRO, DWP, Other: your name; address; D.O.B; offence(s) committed; and any restrictions to placement.

Why do we need your personal information and what do we do with it?

We have been provided with your personal information to allow us to offer you support from our ChoiceWorks service. We also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records.  

Legal basis for using your information:

We provide these services to you as part of our statutory function as your local authority. You can find more details of our role on our website.

Where you elect to use this service, processing your personal information is necessary for the performance of a public task carried out in the public interest by GCC. We also need to process more sensitive personal information about you in order to provide you with confidential counselling, advice and support as set out in the Data Protection Act 2018.

Who do we share your information with?

We are legally obliged to safeguard public funds so we are required to verify and check your details internally for fraud prevention. We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes.  

We are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies, such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this.  We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.  

Your information is also analysed internally to help us improve our services.  This data sharing is in accordance with our Information Use and Privacy Policy and covered in our full privacy statement on our website. It also forms part of our requirements in line with our Records Management Plan approved in terms of the Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011.

This project benefits from EU funding. It is a condition of this funding that the project may be audited by the European Commission and the Scottish Government on behalf of the Commission. Your personal details may therefore need to be shared with the Scottish Government and European Commission in connection with any such audits. 

International Data Transfers

As noted above, information may need to be shared with the European Commission which has its headquarters in Belgium. Any information passed to the Commission remains fully protected by EU data protection laws.

How long do we keep your information for?

We only keep your personal information for the minimum amount of time necessary. Sometimes this time period is set out in the law, but in most cases it is based on our business need. We maintain a records retention and disposal schedule which sets out how long we hold different types of information for. You can view this on our pdf icon website [3Mb] or you can request a hard copy from the contact address stated above.

Information which we need to retain for purposes of European Commission audit requirements will be retained in accordance with the rules set out in the EU grant funding conditions. This typically requires information to be retained for a longer period than CSG would keep it for internal purposes.

Your rights under data protection law:

Access to your information

You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. 

Correcting your information

We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.

Deletion of your information

You have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:

  • you think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained
  • you have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information - see Objecting to how we may use your information below
  • our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.

Objecting to how we may use your information

You have the right at any time to tell us to stop using your personal information for service evaluation purposes.

Restricting how we may use your information

in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information that we hold about you or we are assessing the objection you have made to our use of your information. This right might also apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.

Please contact us as stated above if you wish to exercise any of these rights.


We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. If your complaint is about how we have handled your personal information, you can contact our Data Protection Officer by email or by telephone on 0141 287 1055.

However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint about data protection matters with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at:  

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
SK9 5AF.

By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information.

If your complaint is not about a data protection matter you can find details on how to make a complaint on our website.

More information:

For more details on how we process your personal information visit

If you do not have access to the internet you can contact us via telephone to request hard copies of any of our documents.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services