Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

FAQs for people arriving from Ukraine

Below you will find some questions that you may have in relation to either being a host family for someone arriving from Ukraine or how to find support for the family arriving from Ukraine.

What support can a host family expect?

Host families will be supported by support officers from Asylum and Refugee Service.  The Scottish Government also provide information on hosting families from Ukraine.

What is the role of the Glasgow Asylum Refugee Service?

The Asylum and Refugee Service is there to assist arriving guests access services and obtain financial support. This will include GP Registration, Enrolment with Education, appointments with Department of Work and Pensions, opening bank account(s), access to ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) classes.

What supports are available upon arrival for those arriving from Ukraine?

All of the above supports will start in the first 4 weeks after arrival (followed by regular monthly visits from Asylum and Refugee Service).

What to do if you are aware of someone arriving from Ukraine?

Contact Asylum and Refugee Service, phone 0141 222 7352. If out of hours then your should contact Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Service on 0300 343 1505.

What financial supports are available for those arriving from Ukraine?

Assessment of immediate needs will determine requirement for financial support. Contact should be made with Asylum and Refugee Service.  

How do I enrol with local school?

Simply go to your local school and ask to enrol your child. They may ask you for information such as your address or a copy of your passport. Please do not worry if you don't have these, we can still enrol your child. If the school is full, we will find another school for your child. Use this to find your nearest school. This pdf icon leaflet also provide more information on children going to school, including uniform and school dinners. [481kb]
The Asylum and Refugee Service Support worker can assist however school enrolment can be accessed by directly contacting the local school. 

Where can someone obtain support from local voluntary and third sector groups?

The Asylum and Refugee Service support worker can guide people towards local voluntary groups and third sector agencies. You can find details of local organisations who can help on the Glasgow Council for the Voluntary Sector (GCVS) website or the  Glasgow Helps website.

How does someone register with a local GP (doctor)?

The Asylum and Refugee Service support worker can assist this however registration can be done through direct contact with local health centres. If living in Glasgow hub hotel, access to asylum bridging health team will be available for immediate health needs. 

How does someone access benefit entitlement?

The Asylum and Refugee Service support worker will organise initial interview at Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to obtain a national insurance number and make a claim for Universal Credit.

How does someone access translation services?

The Asylum and Refugee Service support worker will access interpreters for all planned visits.

What if the host family arrangements breaks down?

You should contact asylum refugee service immediately (phone 0141 222 7352 ). Arrangements will be made to access accommodation either through Glasgow hub hotel, Homes for Ukraine or housing association property.

What to do if there are concerns an adult or child is at risk

Raise directly with your support worker. You can also find information online on how to:

How do I register with a dentist? 

To register with a dentist contact your local high street dentist and arrange an appointment to register. To receive a list of local dentists currently accepting patients phone General Dental Services Advice Line on 0141 201 4209.

I have dental pain and not registered with a dentist what do I do?

If you have been unable to access a high street dentist and you are in dental pain please phone:

Daytime Dental Care

  • Emergency Dental Treatment Centre Glasgow Dental Hospital
    Phone 0141 232 6323 between 9am - 4.30pm 

Out of hours Dental Care

  • NHS 24 Triage  
    Phone 111

Am I entitled to free dental treatment?

NHS dental treatment is free for refugees, until settlement status changes. Dental treatment is then free for the following:

  • everyone aged under 26
  • pregnant women
  • nursing mothers until their baby is 12 months old
  • those with certificated exemption from payment because of income

I've received a Childsmile consent form from my child's school, what is Childsmile?

Childsmile is a national programme designed to improve the oral health of children in Scotland and reduce inequalities both in dental health and access to dental services. The programme consists of

  • daily tooth brushing at school or nursery
  • application of Fluoride varnish in targeted school and nurseries. Your child may receive a consent letter, please complete and return to your child's school or nursery
  • childsmile community & practice is introduced to the family by the health visitor who will refer them straight to a dental practice or to a Dental Health Support Worker (DHSW).





Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services