Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Animal Boarding Licence

Who should apply?

Anyone who wishes to keep and run animal boarding establishments (catteries and kennels).

No one may keep a boarding establishment for animals without a licence.  Day boarding and home boarding refers to a business that provides accommodation for such animals. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

How do I apply?

Please complete the application form on the licensing webpage. This should be completed and emailed to Once this has been done, the licensing section will advise you of the bank account details to which the application fee must be paid. Please note your application will not be considered under the application fee has been paid.

The licence will run from the date it is granted until 31 December of that year. A new licence will require to be applied for prior to 1 January of the following year. If granted that licence will be for a period of 1 year.

Will there be conditions attached to the licence?

Yes, depending on what type of licence you apply for, whether it is for cats and dogs. Style conditions can be found on this webpage on the right hand side.

How much does a licence cost?

Please refer to our pdf icon Fees and Charges [293kb] document for details of the current fees and accepted payment methods.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services