Couples getting married in Scotland from 1 March 2015 should click on the link below for more information:-

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          National Records of Scotland.


The Registration Office of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships is based at the Service Desk at 45 John Street. The opening hours of the Service Desk are Monday-Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm.


To enhance the service and reduce waiting times we operate an appointment system for submitting marriage notice forms, to make an appointment please telephone 0141 287 7658.

Please note, we will always endeavour to deal with your enquiry, however, if you attend without an appointment and/or later than 4.30pm we may be unable to attend to your request on that day and would therefore offer an appointment for you to return to the office another day.

Please also note, the preferred method of payment at the Service Desk is by Debit/Credit Card.  Registration staff will be unable to accept cash payments. However, you will be able to pay for transactions involving cash/cheque at a separate cash office within the Service Desk.

If you need further clarification, wish to discuss a booking or would like more information about our service including the current fees please email: mar&

Glasgow Registration Service is now proud to offer bookings for civil ceremonies from an extended portfolio that now includes the magnificent City Chambers and the newly refurbished 23 Montrose Street.  See link below for our new brochure.

View our new brochure - August 2012. pdf icon Glasgow City Chambers - Civil Ceremonies [1Mb] .

Images of 23 Montrose Street ceremony rooms

Ceremy Rooms

Registrars now have flexibility to conduct ceremonies at a venue of your choice throughout the city.

If you are interested in booking a venue for your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, check if the venue is available, then once you have provisionally booked it, please check if the Registrar will be available on that particular date.

Preliminaries for being married in Scotland

If you wish to download Marriage Notice Forms (M10), these may be obtained from the website of the National Records of Scotland.  These forms should be completed and signed by each party prior to being returned to the office.

Please note the notice period has now increased to 28 clear days.

Documents to be produced

When giving or sending the marriage notice forms to the registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • your birth certificate
  • your passport
  • proof of current/usual residence - for e.g. Utility bill (not older than 3 months);  Bank/Building society statement (not older than 1 month);  Most recent Council Tax bill;  Valid UK Driving Licence; Letter signed by someone able to confirm period of residence at address e.g. relative accommodating individual (further supporting evidence may be needed)
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final-a decree nisi is not acceptable
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse
  • if your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry. If any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided
  • If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed.  Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form National Records of Scotland

Completed Marriage Notices can be posted to Glasgow Registration Office along with the relevant documents and fee.

The address for posting marriage notices is:

Registration Office
City Chambers
George Square
G2 1DU

The following information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Who can be married in Scotland 

Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may marry in Scotland provided that:

  • both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day of their marriage
  • they are not related to one another in a way which would prevent their marrying
  • each is unmarried or not already registered as a civil partner (any person who has already been married or registered as a civil partner must produce documentary evidence that the previous marriage or civil partnership has been ended by death, divorce, annulment or dissolution)
  • they are capable of understanding the nature of a marriage ceremony and of consenting to marriage
  • in the case of opposite sex marriage, the marriage would be regarded as valid in the party's country of domicile

Types of Marriage

You can be married in either of two ways in Scotland - by a religious or belief ceremony or by a civil ceremony:

•A religious or belief marriage may take place anywhere and may be solemnised only by a minister, clergyman, pastor, priest or other person approved to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977.

•A civil marriage may take place in a registration office or at any place agreed between the registration authority and the couple and may be solemnised only by a registrar or an assistant registrar who has been authorised by the Registrar General for that purpose.

How and when to give notice

You can each obtain a marriage notice form, and information about fees, from any registrar of births, deaths and marriages in Scotland. In most cases you can get the address of your local registrar from the telephone directory. 

Each of you must complete and submit a marriage notice, along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place.

Timing is important. The notices must be submitted early enough to enable the registrar to be satisfied that you are free to marry one another. Normally notices should be handed in about 10 weeks before the marriage but if either party has been married before, the notices should be with the registrar 12 weeks beforehand. The minimum period is 28 clear days before the date of the proposed marriage, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone your marriage.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a marriage to take place if 28 clear days notice has not been given.

Although you need not attend personally at the registrar's office to hand in your marriage notice, at least one of the parties must attend person­ally before the date of the marriage. It is necessary, in the case of a religious marriage, to collect the Marriage Schedule or, in the case of a civil marriage, to finalise arrangements with the registrar.  Personal attendance is necessary at this stage because the registrar will need further information before the marriage can proceed.

Every person giving notice is required to sign a declaration to the effect that the particulars and information given on the notice are correct.  As a safeguard against bigamous marriages, a subsequent check of the information is made centrally.

                                                          Back to top

Making arrangements for the marriage ceremony

It is important to make early arrangements for the date and time of your marriage.

If you are having a religious ceremony, go and see the minister or clergyman who is to take the service before completing the notice of marriage.

For a civil marriage make advance arrangements with the registrar. This is particularly important in towns and cities, where large numbers of people want to be married at certain times of the year.

Arrange for two persons, aged 16 years or over, to be present at your marriage to act as witnesses. They are required whether it is a religious or civil ceremony.

Be sure to let the clergyman or the registrar know if you change your plans or decide to postpone your marriage.

The Marriage Schedule

When the registrar is satisfied there is no legal impediment to the marriage a Marriage Schedule will be prepared from the information you have given. The Schedule is a most important document - no marriage can proceed without it.

If you are having a religious marriage the Marriage Schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. The Schedule cannot be issued more than seven days before the marriage and the registrar will advise you when to call.  The Schedule cannot be collected on your behalf by a relative or friend - the registrar will issue it only to one of the prospective parties.

The Marriage Schedule must be produced before the marriage ceremony to the person performing the marriage.

Immediately after the ceremony the Schedule must be signed by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the two witnesses. Thereafter, it must be returned to the registrar within three days in order to register the marriage.

If you are having a civil marriage, a Marriage Schedule will not be issued but the registrar will have it available at the marriage ceremony for signature. Subsequently the marriage will be registered.

A fee for the civil marriage is payable to the registrar in advance.

                                                 Back to top

Marriage Certificate

After the marriage has been registered you can obtain copies of the marriage certificate from the registrar on payment of the appropriate fee.

If you live in England or Wales

As an alternative, you may give notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar in the district of England or Wales in which you reside. The person you are marrying should, however, give notice in Scotland in the usual way.

You should seek the advice of the superintendent registrar if you wish to proceed in this way. The certificate for marriage obtained from him should be sent to the Scottish registrar as quickly as possible.

If you are domiciled outside the United Kingdom

The normal procedure of giving notice to the registrar in Scotland must be followed but as previously mentioned an additional requirement is placed upon you.

If, being domiciled in a country outside the UK, you are subject to the marriage laws of that country, you should obtain if practicable a certificate issued by the competent authority (usually the civil authority) in that country to the effect that there is no impediment to your proposed marriage.  If the certificate is in a language other than English, you should also produce a certified translation.   In the absence of such a certificate without good reason being shown, it may not be possible for you to marry in Scotland.

If you are now resident in the UK and have lived here for the last two years or more you need not submit such a certificate.

If you are in any doubt about what is required, or if you require further information, you should consult the registrar.

Please note: This information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Useful links:

Divorce - Divorce Aid

Whatever your situation and wherever you are, we hope Divorce Aid will be useful to you. We feature Scottish resources and are able to personally refer you to an appropriate solicitor in your area.