Paying your Council Tax
You are in: Council Tax/ Paying your Council Tax
Click one of the page names above to navigate to the page.
If you do not currently pay by direct debit, your instalments are due on the 1st of each payment month.
You need to know your reference number (also called an account number) to make a payment. It will be a number that starts with an 8.
If you have a Council Tax bill, you will see it here:
If we've sent you another type of letter, your reference/account number should be listed near the top.
If you don't have a reference because you have not told us about a residency change, please tell us about the change.
If you do have a reference number but cannot find it, please call us on 0141 287 5050
Ways to pay your bill
Your Council Tax bill shows how much you must pay. This page provides advice on the easiest ways you can pay your bill.
By Direct Debit
Direct debit is the easiest and most cost-effective way to pay your bill. It is quick and easy to arrange - all you need to do is complete an online form and we will arrange the rest for you.
You can choose to make your payments on either the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd or 28th of each month. You can also choose to make payments every two weeks or every four weeks.
To sign up for our direct debit scheme complete an online form or phone the Council Tax Office on 0141 287 5050 with your bank details.
Please view our Fair Processing Statement to see how we use the personal information you provide on our forms.
On the Internet
Visit our online payment site. You can also pay by card over the phone - see below. If you need help with making your payment, you can phone 0141 287 5050
By phone (automated payment line)
Phone the Council Tax Office on 0141 287 0300 to pay your bill by debit or credit card. The automated payment option is available 24 hours, 7 days per week, including Public Holidays.
By standing order
To make payment by standing order you must instruct your bank to make payments to Sort Code 83-44-00, Account Number 00223187. You can also print out our Standing Order mandate [64kb] or phone 0141 287 5050 to have one sent to you. Remember that you must contact your bank whenever your monthly payment amount changes.
Do you need to know more?
- Querying your bill: If you want to ask us about how we've calculated your bill, please call us on 0141 287 5050
- Difficulty paying: If you are having difficulty paying your bill, please call us on 0141 287 5050
- Banding: You can read about banding in the section below, entitled 'Council Tax Bands'. You can check your band online and find out more about how the Glasgow City Assessor determines your band at www.saa.gov.uk/glasgow
- Moving: If you have moved house and you want to tell us, please Complete our online form
- View your account online or register
- Previous query: If you want to check with us about a previous enquiry for Council Tax liability, or a change to liability, please call us on 0141 287 5050
- Billing:Find out how we bill you for Council Tax including how we work out your charges
- Reducing your bill: Find out about reducing what you pay towards Council Tax, including Discounts, Exemptions, and Council Tax Reduction.
- Guide to Council Tax and Non-Domestic Rates 2015/16 [747kb]: Our annual guide to Council Tax and Business Rates
- Anything else? If you want to talk to us about any other aspect of who is responsible for Council Tax, please call us on 0141 287 5050