Noise - Out of Hours Complaints

Out of Hours Complaints

The Out of Hours Unit is part of Land and Environmental Services and has been set up to cover Environmental Health and Trading Standards functions outwith normal office hours.

The main duties of the Unit relate to enforcement noise complaints, the majority of which arise during the evening and into night-time and has enforcement powers to allow noise disturbance issues to be resolved when informal contact is not successful.

The Unit endeavours to respond to all noise complaints relating to:

  • Anti-social Behaviour (loud music, dogs barking, DIY noise, loud TV etc)
  • Public Houses / Clubs (live bands, karaoke, discos etc)
  • Construction Sites
  • Alarms sounding

The unit operates 7 days a week from 5pm to 3am and can be contacted directly on 0141 287 6688 or by Email:

The Out of Hours Unit can also pre-arrange appointments with those who experience noise disturbance between 3am and 9am but do require sufficient notice to do this.

Noise Pollution from Construction and Demolition Sites

Land and Environmental Services (LES) of Glasgow City Council will respond to all complaints of noise from building sites.


Attention is drawn to the Control of Pollution Act 1974, which allows the Council to set the times during which work may be carried out and the methods of work to be used. These requirements can extend to the following work:

  • The erection, construction, alteration, repair or maintenance of buildings, structures or roads;
  • Breaking up, opening or boring under any road or adjacent land in connection with the construction, inspection, maintenance or removal of works;
  • Demolition or dredging works;
  • Any work of engineering construction (whether or not already comprised in the above)

If justified, Glasgow City Council will issue a notice under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 and if it is breached, report the matter to the Procurator Fiscals Office.


Residential Zones:

  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
  • Saturday: 8am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Public Holidays: No noisy operations

In exceptional circumstances (for example in the case of traffic restrictions, in an emergency or where for technical reasons a process cannot be completed within the permitted hours) works outside these hours may be unavoidable and in such cases the person responsible should consult Land and Environmental Services as far in advance as possible. It is also recommended that local residents are notified in advance of out of hours work

Other Areas:
Recommended times of working in other areas i.e. out with residential zones, are dependent upon the nature of the area and the proximity of noise-sensitive premises. Full consideration of the potential noise disturbance must be given prior to the planning of construction/demolition works.

Methods of Work
In all cases the best practicable means of minimising noise must be used and guidance is given in British Standards BS 5228 entitled "Noise Control on Construction and Open Sites??

The following examples are applicable:

  • For any particular job the quietist plant and/or machinery should be used. Where appropriate it must be constructed to meet the requirements of EEC Directives;
  • All equipment should be maintained in good mechanical order and fitted with the appropriate silencers, mufflers or acoustic covers;
  • Stationary noise sources should be sited as far as possible from noise sensitive developments and where necessary, acoustic barriers should be used to shield them;
  • Any pilling should be carried out by the method of causing the minimum of noise and vibration, sheet steel piling whether permanent or temporary should be driven by vibratory jacking or box silenced percussion systems or a combination of these methods subject to the requirements of the Council;
  • The movement of vehicles to and from the site must be controlled and should not take place outside the permitted hours unless with prior approval, employees should be supervised to ensure compliance with the noise control measures adopted.

General Advice

In the interests of good public relations construction companies are advised to inform and consult local residents regarding works and to give them the name of the person on site that will be able to deal with queries. If you have any queries about these matters please telephone Land and Environmental Services, Out of Hours Unit, on 0141 287 6688.

Ice Cream Van Chimes

A Code of Practice approved by the Scottish Government sets out the Do's and Don'ts for Ice Cream Van Chimes as follows:

Don't Sound Chimes:

  • Before 12 Noon or After 7pm
  • For more than four seconds at a time
  • More than once every three minutes
  • When the vehicle is stationary
  • Except on approach to a selling point
  • When in sight of another van which is trading
  • When within 50 metres of schools, hospitals, churches etc
  • More than once every two hours in the same street
  • Louder than 80 dB(A) measured at 7.5 metres from the loudspeaker
  • As loudly in quiet areas or narrow streets as elsewhere


  • It is an offence to sound your chimes BEFORE 12 Noon or AFTER 7pm
  • It is an offence to sound your chimes at any time in a way which gives reasonable cause for annoyance

If found guilty in the Sheriff Court, a fine not exceeding Level 5 (£5,000) may be imposed and in any case, with a further fine not exceeding £50 for each on which the offence continues after conviction.

Should you be disturbed by noise from ice cream van chimes, please call Land and Environmental Services Out of Hours Unit on 0141 287 6688.

NB. Please note any disturbance will have to be monitored from your property before any formal action can be taken.

Licensed Premises

Licensed premises have a responsibility to be considerate towards neighbouring properties and these suggestions can help in reducing noise disturbance.

  • Consult Land and Environmental Services and / or a relevant acoustic expert should you wish to introduce or significantly modify existing amplified voices or music.
  • Third parties (DJ's, Karaoke companies, bands etc) require to be adequately managed by the License Holder to prevent raised noise levels in their premises adversely affecting others. Care should be exercised where third parties propose to use further amplification outwith your direct control. This practice should routinely be avoided.
  • Provide suitable control on noise escape through building weak spots. For instance, noise escape through leaving doors and windows open for ventilation and through non-acoustically treated ventilation and ducts to the exterior.
  • Ensure all external fans and ventilation extraction serving your premises are turned off at the earliest opportunity. Servicing and/or acoustic treatment may also be required to reduce disturbance.
  • On closing premises after trading, reduce noise from activities to a minimum including lower voices and prevent the use of amplified background music, i.e. jukebox. Encourage patrons to leave premises quietly to minimise disturbance to local residents - signs to this effect may help.
  • Discourage taxis from using their horns to attract the attention of your customers and staff at all times. Ask the drivers to switch off their engines while waiting for customers - signs to this effect may help.
  • Allow access to waste uplift by contractors at a time and place that causes the least disturbance. Due to the excessive noise created outwith your premises when filling and emptying a bin containing glass, please ensure that extra consideration is exercised on filling methods and waste disposal company uplift times.
  • Ensure that there are no raised voices from door persons carrying out their routine tasks.
  • Ensure members of your staff do not dispose of glass outwith the premises at times which will cause disturbance to local residents.

With the legislation relating to smoking in public places in Scotland, licensed premises should ensure that noise from smoking areas outwith the premises but used by their patrons do not cause undue disturbance to those nearby. Premises need to also consider litter and thoroughfare issues. Advice on smoking shelters is available on the Scottish Government web-site

or contact Land and Environmental Services at .

On receipt of a noise or vibration complaint, where possible, Officers from Land and Environmental Services will discuss the situation with the complainant and seek to rectify justified complaints timeously. Land and Environmental Services Officers may be able to provide assistance and a neutral perspective on the situation. If informal contact is unsuccessful Officers from Land and Environmental Services have enforcement powers in terms of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to abate noise disturbance where appropriate.

Should you be disturbed by noise from a licensed premises, please call Land and Environmental Services' Out of Hours Unit on 0141 287 6688.

NB. Please note any disturbance will have to be monitored from your property before any formal action can be taken.

Related Information