Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Shielding - Frequently Asked Questions

I got a letter telling me that I was identified as at risk and am on the Shielding list. What does this mean?

If you received a letter from the Scottish Government advising you that you have been included as part of the Shielding programme, it is because you have an existing medical condition that puts you at high clinical risk should you contract COVID-19. The Shielding programme aims to protect those individuals identified as at high clinical risk by supporting them to reduce all contact with others.

The Scottish Government has highlighted that it is essential for you, to self isolate for at least 12 weeks to protect you from getting the virus. You should therefore;

  • Avoid contact with anyone who you live with that has symptoms of COVID-19 - including a high temperature and/or a new and continuous cough;
  • Stay in your house;
  • Minimise all contact by not shopping, going out for leisure or travel and arrange for deliveries of food and medication to be left at your front door;
  • Use technology such as the phone and internet including social media to keep in touch with family and friends.

The Scottish Government has put in place a programme of support to help you do this.

I haven't received a letter from the Scottish Government regarding Shielding but think I should have, how do I get on the list?

The list of patients in need of shielding support is not an opt in process. The NHS National Services Scotland (NSS) has used existing databases to determine patients identified as at high clinical risk. The definition for high clinical risk has been agreed by all four Chief Medical Officers across the United Kingdom. The full list of conditions agreed as in need of shielding support are;

1. Solid organ transplant recipients
2. People with specific cancers

a. People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
b. People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment.
c. People having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
d. People having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
e. People who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs

3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD
4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection
6. People who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired

If you fall within these groups and have not received any correspondence from the Scottish Government, you are advised to contact your GP direct.

Any additions to the list require to be made through a clinician and Glasgow City Council is not involved in this process.

I haven't had a shielding letter and don't have the conditions listed, where can I get support?

We know that there are many more people who do not fall within the groups listed that will also require to self isolate - either because of a different medical condition, because they have been advised by their doctor to do so, or because they have symptoms of COVID-19. These groups will also require support

Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Council for the Voluntary Sector and the Health & Social Care Partnership have joined forces to establish a Community Hub for Glasgow. This Hub provides information on local groups and organisations in your area that can provide support for a wide range of activities, including accessing food and picking up medication. It links you directly with a local group to discuss your particular needs.

You can contact the Community Hub on 0141 345 0543 from 9am -5pm from Monday to Friday or visit online at

I got a letter to say that I have to shield myself for 12 weeks but my partner still needs to go to work. Is that ok?

The Scottish Government guidance states that those that live with you do not need to shield alongside you. That means that if they have to go to work or leave the house for food that they can. However, they must follow the guidance on social distancing - staying more than 2m away from others - and also reduce their contact outside the home where possible.

In addition, the Scottish Government have set out that whilst at home you should;

  • Minimise the time you spend with others in shared spaces - kitchens, bathroom and sitting areas - and keep those spaces well ventilated;
  • Aim to keep 2 metres away from other and encourage them to sleep in a different bed from you if possible;
  • Use separate towels and, if possible, a separate bathroom from the rest of the household. If this isn't possible, you should clean the bathroom with cleaning products after every use;
  • Avoid using the kitchen when others are present, take your meals back to your room to eat where possible and ensure all kitchenware is thoroughly cleaned, ideally using a dishwasher set to 60degrees if you can. If you don't have a dishwasher, use very warm, soapy water.

If you follow these guidelines, there is no need for your household to wear any special medical clothing or equipment.

I have tried to register with the Scottish Government SMS service but keep getting an error message, what should I do?

The SMS Shielding Service is an automated process and we have been made aware of a number of problems with registering. There are a few reasons why you might be getting an error message;

a) You have submitted an incorrect CHI number. Please check the number against the CHI number on the top of your letter from the Scottish Government.
b) You have included additional information. Only text your 10 digit CHI number. If you include any other words or information, or a space at the end then you will receive an error message. Try again, ensuring that there are only 10 digits.
c) You don't have enough credit in your phone to send a text. Texts are charged at the standard network rate.
d) We have been advised that a number of eligible patients are unable to register. This appears to be an issue for certain mobile phone providers.
e) If your GP or consultant advised you that you are in the Shielding Group but you haven't received a letter, you may find that there is a delay in being able to register whilst your records are updated. You cannot register until your CHI number has been added to the central database. Please keep trying over the next few days.
f) You are not registered on the list of patients that require shielding support.

If you are having difficulty registering using the SMS service and are eligible for the shielding programme, we can register on your behalf.

You can email us on or call us on 0141 276 1185. If you have already emailed or called us, we will contact you directly to discuss your needs.

Do I qualify for the Scottish Government food parcels?

Currently, only those that have received a shielding letter from the Scottish Government are eligible for the Scottish Government food parcel.

If you haven't received a letter but think that you are eligible, please speak to your GP. If you need support to access food and medication, please contact the Glasgow Community Hub on 0141 345 0543 or by visiting

How do I get my food parcel delivery from the Scottish Government?

There are two ways to register for your food parcel.

You can use the Scottish Government SMS Shielding Service. This requires you to text your CHI number to the dedicated mobile number - 07860 064 525. You will get an automated response informing you that you have registered. This will be followed by options to receive a food parcel and give consent regarding priority supermarket delivery slots.

If you are having trouble using the SMS service, or you do not have a mobile phone, Glasgow City Council can register on your behalf. Please contact us, either by email or telephone highlighting that you wish us to do this and provide a telephone number. We will need to discuss your requirements with you and will call you back as soon as we can.

What is in the Scottish Government Food Parcels?

The parcels contain enough basic food and household items to last a week for one person. At the moment, it is a standard pack and so it might not meet your specific dietary or religious requirements. Work is underway to tailor these going forward but in the meantime, please read the information that comes with the pack carefully and check the ingredients if you are concerned at all.

The standard pack contains;


Tea bags (40bags)

Toilet Roll (2xrolls)

Chopped Tomatoes (2x400g)

Biscuits (1x300g)

Shower Gel (x1)

Tinned Fruit (1x410g)

Bread (1x800g)

Semi-skimmed UHT milk (2x1ltr)

Rice/Cous Cous/Noodles (1x500g)

Cereal (1x500g)

Cooking Sauce - jar(1x350g)

Veg (2x300g)

Baked Beans (2x415g)

Pre Potato (whole, washed) (1x2kg)

Fruit 1 (1x5count)

Soups (4x400g)

Tinned Meat(1x340g)

Fruit 2 (1x5count)

Pasta (1x500g)



If you require additional items, including sanitary products, please contact the Shielding team on 0141 2761185 or by email

Who delivers my food parcel?

Food parcels are delivered direct to you by either Brakes or Bidfood. The delivery will be contact free and parcels left on your doorstep. The delivery staff will ring your doorbell or knock the door to let you know that it has arrived and then step away to a safe distance.

What if I don't hear the door?

If there is no answer the delivery driver will leave the food on your doorstep with a calling card.

How will I know when my parcel is due to arrive?

Your delivery will take place on the same day every week between 6am and 10pm. In Glasgow, this will be either a Monday or a Tuesday. Deliveries will take place even if it is a bank holiday. We cannot give you an exact time for delivery.

The box is really heavy and I can't lift it in myself. What should I do?

The food parcel weighs approximately 18kgs. If you need help to bring the groceries into your house you can contact us at or on 0141 276 1185 to arrange support for this.

Do I have to pay for the food parcels from the Scottish Government?

No. There is no charge for the food parcels delivered from the Scottish Government.

How do I stop my Scottish Government food parcel?

If you no longer require a food parcel from the Scottish Government, simply text STOPBOX to the SMS Shielding Service. Alternatively you can advise us by email or telephone and we can do this on your behalf.

I have had to move out of my home address to get support from my family. Can I still get my food parcel?

Yes. Contact us through email ( or on 0141 276 1185 and we can change the address for your delivery. It doesn't matter if you are now living outside of Glasgow, you will still be eligible to receive your food parcel.

How can I access priority slots for supermarket deliveries?

You will need to register with the SMS Shielding Service for this. You can either do this direct by texting your CHI number to 07860 064 525 or contacting us to do this on your behalf ( or 0141 276 1185).

Once you have been verified as eligible for shielding support, you will be contacted through SMS to seek consent to share your details with supermarkets. You will need to agree to this in order that the supermarkets can contact you direct to discuss access to priority delivery slots.

Will I still get my food parcels delivered if I opt in for priority delivery slots?

Yes, your food parcels will still be delivered even if you are getting a supermarket delivery.

I have a prescription ready at the Pharmacy but I have nobody to pick this up, what do I do?

If your pharmacy does not have a delivery service, or is unable to meet demand, we can provide support to pick up urgent prescriptions. Where the prescription has been filled by the Pharmacy and is ready to collect we can provide a contact free delivery to your door. You are required to provide your consent for us to act on your behalf and will be specifically asked to do so when you request the service.

A driver will phone you to advise that they are on their way with a delivery. On arrival they will place your medication on the doorstep, ring the bell or knock the door and step away. If there is no answer, the driver will ring/knock again and wait. If there is still no response, the medication will be retrieved and secured safely and redelivery arranged.

Please contact the Shielding Response Team by email ( or on 0141 276 1185 if you require support with this.

I am on regular medication and have no way to pick this up, can I get a regular delivery?

We are currently in discussions to establish a process to support the delivery of regular medication. If you require a regular delivery, please advise the Shielding Response Team of this and they will be in touch once the process is set up.

Alternatively, you can arrange for a regular prescription pick up and delivery through the Glasgow Helps directory of local voluntary organisations. You can contact them through the Community Hub on 0141 345 0543 or by visiting

My elderly parents have been advised to shield. Is it still okay for me to visit them?

The Scottish Government have advised that it is okay for essential carers or visitors to continue assisting with everyday needs as long as they do not have any symptoms of COVID-19. All visitors to the home should wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds when they arrive, before and after preparing food, and frequently throughout their visit.

I provide care for my parents. Is it still okay to do that?

You should only provide care that is essential. You should wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before and after any contact with any shielded person.

You should cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or a sleeve when you cough or sneeze. Do not use your hands. Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands.

Do not visit or provide care if you are unwell and try to make alternative care arrangements. If you need support for essential care you should contact the Shielding Response Team who can refer you for assistance.

I am a shielded person but I have a hospital appointment to attend, do I still go?

Hospitals are currently reviewing their clinics and appointments. It is possible that this might be postponed or cancelled. You will be contacted directly by phone or letter if there are any changes to your care or appointments. If you do not hear anything then you should assume that your appointment will go ahead.

I can't work now that I have been advised to stay at home. How do I get a sick line?

Your shielding letter is evidence to your employer that you cannot work outside your home and you do not need a separate fit note from your GP.

I am worried that I cannot pay my bills now I have to stay at home and can't work. What should I do?

If you need financial advice and support you can contact the Money Talk Team at the Citizens Advice Network. They can determine if you are entitled to any benefits and give advice on money. You can contact them on 0800 085 7145 or visit their website

You can also be referred to the Council's financial advice services. If you need help, please contact the Shielding Response Team on 0141 276 1185 or by emailing

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services