Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Civil Partnership Registration

Book an appointment

Contact Registrars

Congratulations on your forthcoming civil partnership.

In this section there is information and guidance on having a civil partnership in Glasgow.  The minimum notice for civil partnership in Scotland is 29 days.

If coming into the office in person you need to make an appointment to submit civil partnership notice forms.

Please read the information contained in this section below prior to your appointment.


How do I make an appointment?

Please allow sufficient time to arrange an appointment.  You can make an appointment using our online booking system.  Appointments are available Monday - Friday excluding public holidays.

The office is located at:

Service Desk
45 John Street
G1 1JQ

How and when to give notice of civil partnership?

Each party to a civil partnership must complete and submit a NRS - CP10 form  along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district in which the civil partnership is to take place.

Timing is important. The notices must be submitted early enough to enable the registrar to be satisfied that you are free to enter into a civil partnership. Normally notices should be handed in about 8 to 10 weeks before the Civil Partnership but if either party has been married or in a civil partnership before, the notices should be with the registrar 10 weeks beforehand. The minimum period is 28 clear days before the date of the proposed Civil Partnership, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone your Civil Partnership.

Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a civil partnership to take place if 28 clear days notice has not been given.

These civil partnership notices can be submitted in person by making an appointment to attend the above office or alternatively you can arrange to post them with the appropriate documents and fee to:

Registration Office
City Chambers
George Square
G2 1DU

The following information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

What documents do I need to produce?

When submitting civil partnership notice forms to the registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • your birth certificate;
  • your passport;
  • proof of current/usual residence - for e.g. Utility bill (not older than 3 months); Bank/Building society statement (not older than 1 month); Most recent Council Tax bill; Valid UK Driving Licence; Letter signed by someone able to confirm period of residence at address e.g. relative accommodating individual (further supporting evidence may be needed);
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final-a decree nisi is not acceptable;
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse;
  • if your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to enter into a civil partnership;
  • if any of your documents are in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided;
  • If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form - Home Office.

How much does it cost?

To have a civil partnership in Scotland the statutory fee to submit civil partnership notice forms is £30.00 each and £10.00 for the civil partnership extract making a total of £70.00.

Please note that additional fees are payable for the Registrar to conduct the ceremony and these vary according to where and when the ceremony is taking place

If you are having a religious of belief civil partnership please contact your celebrant for the fees involved in conducting your ceremony.

How do I pay?

The preferred method of payment at the Service Desk is by Debit/Credit Card. Registration staff will be unable to accept cash payments. However, you will be able to pay for transactions involving cash/cheque at a separate cash office within the Service Desk.

Types of Civil Partnership

  • A civil partnership may be registered by a district registrar or an assistant registrar;
  • a religious or belief celebrant who has been authorised by the Registrar General for that purpose or whose religious or belief body has been prescribed in regulations under the Civil Partnership Act 2004.

Who can register a civil partnership?

Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may register a civil partnership in Scotland provided that:

  • both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day they wish to register their civil partnership;
  • they are not related to one another in a way which would prevent them registering their civil partnership;
  • each is unmarried or not already registered as a civil partner;
  • they are of the same sex;
  • they are capable of understanding the nature of what it is to register a civil partnership and of consenting to do so.

Civil partnership schedule

When the registrar is satisfied there is no legal impediment to the civil partnership a schedule will be prepared from the information you have given. The schedule is a most important document - no civil partnership can proceed without it.

If you are having a religious civil partnership the schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. The schedule cannot be issued more than seven days before the civil partnership and the registrar will advise you when to call.  The schedule cannot be collected on your behalf by a relative or friend - the registrar will issue it only to one of the prospective parties.

The civil partnership schedule must be produced before the civil partnership ceremony to the person performing the civil partnership.

Immediately after the ceremony the schedule must be signed by both parties, by the person performing the civil partnership and by the two witnesses. Thereafter, it must be returned to the registrar within three days in order to register the civil partnership.

If you are having a civil partnership, a schedule will not be issued but the registrar will have it available at the civil partnership ceremony for signature. Subsequently the civil partnership will be registered.

Civil partnership certificate

After the civil partnership has been registered you can obtain copies of the civil partnership certificate from the registrar on payment of the appropriate fee of £10.00.

If you live outside the United Kingdom

The normal procedure of giving notice to the registrar in Scotland must be followed but as previously mentioned an additional requirement is placed upon you.

If, being domiciled in a country outside the UK, you are subject to the laws of that country, you should obtain if practicable a certificate issued by the competent authority (usually the civil authority) in that country to the effect that there is no impediment to your proposed civil partnership. If the certificate is in a language other than English, you should also produce a certified translation. In the absence of such a certificate without good reason being shown, it may not be possible for you to register your civil partnership in Scotland.

If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed. Please also download and complete a Declaration of Immigration Status Form - Home Office.

If you are in any doubt about what is required, or if you require further information, you should consult the registrar.

Please note: This information gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Guidance on changing a civil partnership to marriage

Conversion of a civil partnership to marriage

If you are already in a civil partnership and wish to take the administration route please contact the Registrar's Office of choice to book a date and time. Please bring with you:

  • Civil partnership certificate.
  • Form of photographic identification for both parties, i.e. passport or driver's licence.

If you wish to convert to marriage going through a ceremony please read the information provided regarding Marriage.

What happens if I am late for my appointment?

You should aim to arrive at the Service Desk in time for your appointment.  If you are late we may not be able to accommodate you, your appointment will be rescheduled.

Can I cancel or reschedule an appointment?

When you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email.  This email also includes instructions on how to cancel or reschedule your appointment. 

We only have a limited number of appointments that we can offer each day.  If you arrange an appointment and are unable to attend, please ensure that you cancel or reschedule your appointment.


Share this page:

Help us improve this page:

A to Z:

Council Services