Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Scheme of Assistance

Contact Housing

  • Phone 0141 287 8590

What is the Scheme of Assistance?

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 introduced changes on how local authorities can offer home owners assistance with property repairs.

Owners are responsible for the repair, maintenance and improvement of their own properties, Glasgow City Council will look to provide the following types of assistance depending on the circumstances:

  • Information and advice
  • Practical help and guidance
  • Financial assistance (in certain circumstances)

Section 72 of the Housing Act (2006) requires a local authority to prepare and make publicly available a Scheme of Assistance for private sector housing.

Who is it for?

The Scheme of Assistance is aimed at private home owners including owner-occupiers, landlords and tenants of privately let properties, who are looking for advice and assistance in regard to property repairs and adaptation works.

What are the priorities for assistance?

As funding is limited, financial assistance is targeted at those owners most in need and in the delivery of strategic objectives.

All forms of assistance will however be prioritised by work types and by area to meet national and local strategic objectives.

Information and advice

Information and advice will be provided in the first instance to enable households to instruct their own repairs, or to be better informed when arranging for repairs to be carried out.

For more information on the council's Scheme of Assistance or any of the above, please contact:

Housing and Regeneration Services
Glasgow City Council
Exchange House
231 George Street
Glasgow G1 1RX


Contact Housing

  • Phone 0141 287 8590
Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services