Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

How to apply for a Taxi Licence

Low Emission Zone - Is your licensed vehicle compliant?

To operate beyond the 31 May 2023 all vehicles licensed as a taxi or private hire car require to meet the Council's Low Emission Standards(LEZ) of Euro 4 for petrol, Euro 6 for diesel, electric, been retro-fitted or granted a time limited exemption. Further Information

A Taxi Licence is required to operate a taxi licensed by this Authority.

On 26 April 2023 the Licensing and Regulatory Committee agreed a pdf icon Limitation of Taxi Licences Policy [127kb] for the grant of Taxi Licences.

If you intend to apply for the grant of a licence please ensure you read the policy prior to submitting the application.

How do I apply?

Read our word icon guidance on applying [115kb] for information on the application process including details of:

  • How to lodge an application
  • Supporting documents required
  • How the application will be processed
  • The time it will take to get a decision
  • What to do if you are unhappy with the decision

To apply use our online application form

How much will it cost?

Please refer to our pdf icon Fees and Charges [256kb] document for details of the current fees and accepted payment methods.

The application will not be accepted without the correct fee.

How to make payment?

Applications can only be lodged online and preferred payment should be made by BACS Transfer (electronic banking) to the Licensing Board Account. 

When making payments please quote your licence reference number if you are a current licence holder or provide your Surname/Postcode if you are a new licence holder as detailed below:-

Account Name: Glasgow City Council - Licensing
Account No. 00116224
Sort Code: 83-44-00
Reference: TV xxxxx or Surname/Postcode e.g. Smith/G1 1DU

Payment submitted by post should be in the form of Cheque or Postal Order. All Cheques and Postal Orders should be made payable to Glasgow City Council. Do not send cash by post.

Please note that your application will not be formally lodged until payment has been received.  The fees are non-refundable. 

Can someone object to an application?

Any person can make an objection or representation against a grant or renewal application during the 28 day consultation period. 

Read our guidance on making an objection or representation for more information.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services