Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Blue Badge / Disabled Parking

Contact Blue Badge team

What is it?

A blue badge allows drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems / disabilities to park in parking restricted areas. For example, if you have a blue badge, you can park free and for any length of time at on-street parking meters and on-street pay and display areas.

A blue badge may also be issued to an organisation for a group transport motor vehicle (for example people carrier or minibus) when the vehicle is used to carry disabled persons. In this instance the badge(s) should only be used on group transport vehicles.

How do I get one?

To get a blue badge you need to complete the online form or alternatively fill in the pdf icon Application Form [245kb]. You can also get a copy of the form from your local social work office or you can collect an application form from:

45 John Street
Glasgow G1 1JE

Everyone who wishes a blue badge needs to complete the application form however some people may qualify for a blue badge automatically. If you don't qualify automatically, you will need to be assessed by the local authority.  The criteria for qualifying automatically includes people who:

  • are blind (severely sight impaired);
  • receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance;
  • receive the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment;
  • receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement; or
  • receive a qualifying award under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme

The Scottish Government Guide 'Can I get a Blue Badge' provides information on who is eligible for a blue badge.

Completed applications forms, relevant documents (supporting evidence), one recent photo (signed on the back) and fee, should be posted to:

Glasgow City Council
Grants Section
PO Box 19
G2 1DU

or handed in, in person to

Social Work Services
45 John Street
G1 1JE

How much does it cost?

An administration fee of £20 will be charged for a Blue Badge, which can be paid by cheque or postal order, payable to Glasgow City Council. You can also pay in cash if submitting completed form in person to Glasgow City Council, 45 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JE. This charge applies to all blue badge applications, including renewals and replacements.

If you choose to apply by post there is no facility for rendering payment through invoice.  A blue badge will not be issued unless payment is received.  If you choose to apply online there is the facility to pay by card, please note that payment will not be taken until blue badge application has been approved.

What if I lose it / it is stolen or I no longer need it?

If your blue badge is lost or stolen, you must contact your local police station and report it.

You will be issued with a 'pink slip' from Police Scotland called 'Confirmation of loss report'.

You must reapply for a blue badge using the application form.  When returning the completed form you must include the original pink slip supplied by the police, any relevant documents (supporting evidence), photographs and fee. When we receive your completed application form, we will wait 28 days before processing, to allow time for your lost or stolen badge to be returned, if found.

Completed form and any accompanying documents must be sent to:

Glasgow City Council
Grants Section
PO Box 19
G2 1DU

Or submitted in person to:

Social Work Services
45 John Street
G1 1JE

You should also contact the Council at this address if:

  • you move house
  • you no longer need a badge
  • a badge needs to be returned because the holder has died
  • a badge needs to be returned when you are no longer entitled to its use

Where can I use it?

If in doubt about where to park at any time, you should check with the local authority.

Badge holders:

  • may park free of charge and without time limit at parking meters on-street and 'pay-and-display' on-street parking
  • may be exempt from time limits imposed on other users
  • may usually park on single or double yellow lines in Scotland without any time limit. In England and Northern Ireland, there is a time limit of up to three hours. Badge holders should also check for loading or unloading restrictions indicated by yellow markings on the kerb. When these restrictions are in force the badge holder is not permitted to park
  • can park in greenways out-with times of operation

Remember, the blue badge must be displayed at all times when parking.

The badge belongs to you, and not to the vehicle you are travelling in. You will therefore only be issued with one badge.

As long as the journey is being made for you, and you are in the car with your badge, you can travel in any car.

How long is a Blue Badge issued for?

The majority of blue badges are issued for a three year period. However the regulations provide for certain exceptions which are detailed below:-

  • Where a temporary badge has been issued for a period of at least 12 months, but less than three years
  • Where a badge has been issued for a condition that is unlikely to last longer than 12 months
  • Where entitlement for a blue badge is linked to the Higher Rate of Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS) and the Armed forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme (AFCS) the period of issue is linked to the period of receipt of the allowance, where that period is less than three years. Note in this regard there is no minimum period of issue e.g a badge could be issued for less than 12 months if this corresponds with the period of issue of the allowance
  • Where a blue badge is issued by reason of an extended award of disability living allowance (DLA) whilst an application for PIP is being considered the period of issue is determined by period of receipt of the previous award of DLA, where that period is less than 3 years. No minimum period of issues applies in this circumstance.
  • Where a blue badge is issued under regulation 4(2)(ab) the badge has an issue period of 1 year
  • Where badge is issued to a child under three, the badge is issued for a maximum period ending on the day following their third birthday.
Share this page:

Help us improve this page:

A to Z:

Council Services