Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Self Isolating - Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs to self-isolate?

Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive test result should stay at home and self-isolate immediately. This is because you could pass the infection on to others, even if you don't have symptoms. If you are contacted by Test and Trace you will also be required to self isolate until the date agreed with the contact tracer.

You could be fined if you do not self-isolate following a notification by NHS Test and Trace. You may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 through the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment scheme if you are required to stay at home and self-isolate. You can find out more information here.

It may be difficult for some people to separate themselves from others in their household. Not all these measures will be possible if you are living with children or have caring responsibilities but follow this guidance to the best of your ability in these circumstances.

I need support whilst I am isolating, how do I get it?

You could ask your family, friends or neighbours to help you get the things you need to stay at home. Most major retailers now offer vouchers you can buy online to make this easier. Your employer or colleagues at work may also be able to help.

If you are self‑isolating for 14 days as a close contact and you live with other people such as your partner, older children or house-mates, they may not need to self-isolate and could be able to go out for those things as well.

You can also register online with retailers to arrange deliveries of food and other essentials while you are self-isolating, but keep in mind that supermarket delivery slots are currently in high demand, and there may not be enough delivery slots available to meet the needs of everyone who wants to access them. If you register for this service before you need to self-isolate, please keep going to the store while you are able. Retailers also have a range of other offerings in place including door-step deliveries of essentials and pre‑selected food packages.

Pharmacies can often arrange to deliver repeat prescriptions if you run out while you remain at home. Other people can collect a prescription on your behalf.   

If you need it, you can call the National Assistance Helpline on 0800 111 4000, or contact via textphone on 0800 111 4114.

This helpline is for people staying at home to stop the spread of coronavirus who need extra help. It is open Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 5.00pm. Please remember this helpline is dedicated to helping those who cannot leave their home and who cannot get the help they need otherwise. Where we can, most of us should speak to family, friends and neighbours to help us deal with a period of self-isolation.

I'm worried about money as I don't get paid when I am not at work?

From 12 October 2020, a grant of £500 is available to some individuals who are required to self isolate, either as they are a positive test or are a close contact to someone who has tested positive.  You can find more details on whether you are eligible to receive this grant here.

This grant is intended to support people who would otherwise struggle to be able afford to comply with the requirement to self-isolate.

You can apply online here. There is an online application form which can be found to the right hand side of the page

As the Self-Isolation Support Grant is designed to support people who will experience a reduction in earnings as a result of having to self-isolate, HMRC has advised that the payment will be subject to income tax.

These payments are designed to help ensure people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and their close contacts self-isolate for the required period to stop the onward spread of the virus.

You can receive the Grant more than once if you are asked to self-isolate on more than one occasion, as long as these do not overlap.

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services