Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRCs) - Restricted Reopening
From Monday 1 June, we are reopening our household waste and recycling centres.
These centres will be open Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4pm each day (last entry 3.45pm).
As it is anticipated that our centres at Dawsholm, Shieldhall, Polmadie and Easter Queenslie will be very busy in the first weeks of opening, we are urging residents to consider whether visiting is urgent or essential.
Please note that anyone in self isolation or with Covid-19 symptoms must not visit our HWRCs under any circumstances.
Staff will not be able to provide physical assistance to householders to unload material; if you cannot unload without assistance, please do not come to one of our sites.
Due to the current situation, in order to reduce queuing times and to protect you and our staff there are rules in place that you must follow when visiting one of our centres:
- Sites will accept black bags of household waste only (waste you normally place in your general waste bin). Please do not bring any other material to the sites e.g. electrical items, garden waste, as bays for other waste streams will not be available and they will not be recycled. When safe to do so and procedures allow, additional skips/bays will be re-opened to accept and recycle a wider stream of materials. Please continue to use your blue recycling bin, brown bin for food/garden waste and utilise the network of public collection points across the city for dry mixed recycling (paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, food and drink cans) and glass recycling (glass bottles and jars).
- Vehicle restrictions are in place - no vans, trailers, traders or cars over 1.8 metres will be accepted. No waste will be accepted by pedestrians.
- Only a limited number of vehicles will be allowed to access our sites at any one time. This is due to the continued need for physical distancing between individuals to stop the spread of coronavirus.
- Access to our site will be strictly controlled on a one-out, one-in basis. Delays in accessing the waste centres should therefore be expected.
- Cones and signage will be in place help guide drivers safely into the each site. To protect yourself and staff, please keep your car windows closed when the check on Glasgow residence is made and follow the direction of staff on hand to manage traffic. Police officers are also likely to be present initially. Signs that give an indication of waiting times will also be in place, but it is fully anticipated there will be delays before entering a centre.
- Only one person will be allowed to exit their car to unload and physical distancing must be adhered to at all times - this is to ensure your safety and that of our staff.
- Householders will be asked to provide proof of address by presenting a Council Tax Bill, drivers licence or utility bill - this is to ensure that our sites are only used by Glasgow residents.
- Please remember to wash your hands before and after visiting one of our centres.
Please remain patient and be respectful of our staff at all times. We understand the restrictions in place may cause frustration, but they are intended to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and save lives.
Locations of HWRC
Dawsholm Recycling Centre
75 Dalsholm Road
Easter Queenslie Recycling Centre
90 Easter Queenslie Road
Due to urgent maintenance work, the council's waste transfer station at 90 Easter Queenslie Road, G33 4UL, will be unavailable until further notice. Any customers who normally deliver materials directly into the waste transfer station will require to make alternative arrangements.
Please note this does not affect users of the Household Waste Recycling Centre which will remain open to members of the public wishing to deposit recyclable materials.
Polmadie Recycling Centre
425 Polmadie Road
Please Note: Unfortunately there is no access to vehicles above 1.8m at Polmadie Recycling Centre. Please use one of the other HWRC's for access with vehicles above this height.
Shieldhall Recycling Centre