Skip to content
Glasgow City Council

Scottish Welfare Fund

What is it?

A discretionary scheme administered by local authorities.

A discretionary scheme means it provides grants that do not have to be repaid and provides a better service to vulnerable members of the local community.

For more information visit the Scottish Government website.

What types of grants are available?

You can apply for different types of grants in the Scottish Welfare Fund (SWF)

Crisis Grants

Crisis grants aim to help people who are in crisis because of a disaster or an emergency.

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic we have received an increased number of applications to the fund, this means that we may no longer be able to meet the 24 hour service level . However, we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can, and we appreciate your patience at this time.

Self-Isolation Support Grants

From 12 October 2020, a grant of £500 is available to individuals who are in receipt of low income benefits and who will lose earnings as a result of being required to self-isolate to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This is intended to support people who would otherwise struggle to be able afford to comply with the requirement to self-isolate.

To be eligible for a Self-Isolation Support Grant, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • have been required by the Test and Protect Service to self-isolate as a result of COVID-19, on or after 28 September 2020, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus, have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, or are awaiting a test result; and
  • be employed or self-employed; and
  • be unable to work from home and can show that you will lose earnings as a result; and
  • be currently receiving, or been awarded but not yet received a payment of at least one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit;
    • Working Tax Credit;
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance;
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance;
    • Income Support;
    • Housing Benefit;  
    • Pension Credit.

You must apply within your 14 day self-isolation period. Those who have been asked to self-isolate on or after 28 September but before 12 October will have 14 days from 12 October to make an application.

To apply for a Self-Isolation Support Grant, you will need to provide:

  • a bank statement; and
  • proof of employment or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact, and
  • a statement declaring that you will experience reduced income during their period of self-isolation

We will check that you:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by Test and Protect; and
  • are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

If you do not meet all of the criteria, but are on a low income and facing financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating, you can still apply for a Crisis Grant.

Community Care Grants

A community care grant aims to help people who may have to go into care unless they get some support to stay at home. Or if they are leaving any form of care and need help to set-up their own home.

Applications for community care grants will be processed within 15 working days. Awards may be given for goods and services.

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic we cannot reach as many applications within the 15 day timescale, this means that we may take longer to make our decisions. However, we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can, and we appreciate your patience at this time.

How do I apply?

The quickest and easiest way to apply is using our online application form.

**Please be aware there is a 20 minute timeout when completing the application, therefore please have all personal and financial details to hand, prior to starting your application and save your application as you go along - keeping a note of your application reference number and any password used.**

If you have any difficulties doing this at home, you can seek assistance and support from organisations such as Social Work, your local Housing Association, Citizens Advice and various similar support groups.   

You can make a new application for a Crisis Grant via telephone during Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.45pm.  Outwith these times, please go online.

For Community Care Grants you can make a new application during the following days and times: 

  • Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursday between 9.30am and 12.30pm

Outwith these times, you can apply online 24/7. 

However, alternatively, if either of these options are not suitable for you, you can download our paper application under the 'related documents' section and submit by post to the following address:

Scottish Welfare Team
Glasgow City Council
45 John Street
PO Box 36
G1 1JE

If you are unable to download the form, please contact us and request for a paper application form to be posted out.

You can also apply by phoning us on 0141 276 1177 and selecting option 1.  Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

I have applied previously, can I apply again?

Every application will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.  There are, however, some rules about repeat applications to keep in mind.  For example, we are not required to consider an application if a person has already applied for the same type of assistance within the last 28 days and nothing has changed. 

Also, while there is no limit on the number of Community Care Grants an individual can receive in any one year, Crisis Grants are normally limited to three in a rolling 12-month period.

You may make multiple applications for Self-Isolation Support Grant, but only where the period of self-isolation does not overlap, and you meet the eligibility criteria for each individual application, including being told to self-isolate multiple times. 

Can I apply if I am subject to a benefit sanction?

Being subject to a sanction or disallowance does not affect your eligibility.

I have made a new application to the DWP, but need help

Before contacting us you should seek assistance from the DWP.  In some circumstances the DWP may be able to provide you with a Short Term Benefit Advance.

How do I ask for a review of my application?

If you are not happy with our decision, you can ask for a review using our online form.


Please note representatives are required to upload a copy of a signed mandate when submitting a First Tier Review on behalf of an applicant.

First tier reviews must be made in writing within 20 working days of our original decision.

The time limit of 20 working days can be extended if you can evidence why you did not request a review within the allocated time.

If you cannot complete our online form, you will have to submit a written review.

Written reviews should include:

  • The date and reference number from your decision letter
  • The reasons why you do not think the right decision was made on the application. For example, this might be because you do not think we took all the relevant information in to account, because you do not agree with the award that has been made or because you don't agree that you are not eligible for the Scottish Welfare Fund.
  • Information which you did not give us when you filled in your application but which you think might make a difference to our decision. Please phone us to find out more about this if you are not sure.
  • Information on any changes to your circumstances since the application which might make a difference to our decision.
  • Your signature. If someone is making a review request for you, you must sign the letter giving your agreement for the review to proceed.

Written reviews must be sent to the address below:

Scottish Welfare Team
Glasgow City Council
PO Box 26816
G2 9AF

First tier reviews will be dealt with in 2 working days for crisis grants and 15 working days for community care grants.

The review will be dealt with by a different decision maker, not involved in the original decision.

If you remain unhappy after a First Tier Review decision, the next step is to request an Independent Review by the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman (SPSO).  You can access the full details here: The SPSO are not part of the council and their service is free.

Where else can I get assistance?

There may be other sources of help available to you.  Glasgow City Council, other agencies and local charities are on hand to help and give you advice on anything from budgeting, getting back onto learning, employment, travel costs to energy advice and keeping safe.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau or local Welfare Rights Organisation may be able to offer you advice. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau in the telephone book or at this website:

You can find out more about local welfare rights organisations on the Rights Advice Scotland website at:

You may also be able to get help and advice from the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP). Depending on your circumstances, DWP might pay a:

  • Short Term Benefit Advance
  • Hardship Payments, Budgeting Loan
  • Sure Start Maternity Payment
  • Funeral Payment
  • Cold Weather Payment - Winter Fuel Payments are available during periods of adverse weather conditions.

Don't struggle on in silence, there are a huge amount of help and guidance available from local agencies, the council, charities, credit unions and the DWP that can help you if you make contact.

Are you always struggling with your heating bills? G.Heat are a free home energy advice team that can help you reduce your energy bills and to help you find practical and affordable ways to save energy and advise on fuel debt.  If you require any further information or advice please contact via phone: 0800 092 9002 or Email: or you can complete an online form at - select the contact us link. 

Don't take all your money out of your bank account in one go, take what you need. This means you can't lose everything or have it taken off you.

Always be careful and check who is around you when you take money out a cash machine, try and use different cash machines so people don't get to know your routine when you take money out on pay days.

If you are having money taken from you regularly or you are a victim of any other crime please contact the police to report this


Is there anything excluded from the Fund

There are items for which an award from the Scottish Welfare Fund cannot be made.  A full list of these excluded items are available within the Scottish Welfare Fund Guidance document available online via Scottish Government.  This located towards the end of the document.

I wish to complain about the way my application was handled by the council, how do I do this?

If your complaint is about a member of staff or Council policy, rather than the decision or outcome of your application, you can follow our Council Complaint process and use our online claim form.

If having been through the council's complaints procedure you remain unhappy, you can ask SPSO to look at your complaint.  More information about this service is available at:

Share this page:

A to Z:

Council Services