Toggle menu

Planning Permission

Planning Applications Dashboard (opens new window)|  Email (opens new window)Contact UsEnquiry Form

Planning Permission

If you are thinking of making alterations or improvements or if you have a development proposal, you should check whether you need planning permission from the Council before you begin. If you are thinking of submitting an application, you should determine whether the development is for a National, Major or Local development, different scales of development have to go through different procedures. You can find more information in the Hierarchy of Development.

Please note that these categories only apply to applications for planning permission, other application types e.g. applications for Listed Building Consent, or Express Consent, etc are not included in the "Hierarchy" of developments. 

Householder Applications

On 24 May 2024 revisions to Permitted Development Rights came into effect with the aim of improving energy efficiency and cost implications for homeowners. One significant revision is regarding Permitted Development Rights to change windows in conservation areas.  

Read the updated Scottish Government's Guidance on Householders Permitted Development Rights.

Within conservation areas - you do not now require planning permission to alter or replace a window that is part of the building's rear or side elevation, unless the side elevation fronts a road.  There are no restrictions on materials, colours, proportions or means of opening but we would encourage you to replicate the design and appearance of the existing window, particularly where the window is original or traditional in construction or design.

You do not require planning permission to alter or replace a window that is part of the building's principal elevation (or side elevation that fronts a road) if the window as altered/replaced would be the same or substantially the same as the existing window, as regards the:  

a.  manner in which the window is opened and closed
b.  number, orientation and colour of panes comprised in the window, and
c.  dimensions and colour of the frame of the window or any astragal bars comprised in the window

If the works do not meet these three criteria then then you must, before beginning the development, submit an application to the council for a determination as to whether the Prior Approval of the authority will be required in respect of the design and external appearance of the proposed alteration to or replacement window.  Listed Buildings will require Listed Building Consent and must meet the requirements set out in SG9: Historic Environment.

Applicants must use the new Prior Notification and Prior Approval application in pdf format and follow the updated Guidance for making a Prior Notification and Prior Approval.  They should complete this form and submit it directly to the Planning Authority. The fee for this service is £100.

Payment should be made for Prior Notification/Approval applications by BACs payment to Glasgow City Council using the undernoted details:

  • Payee: Glasgow City Council
  • Sort Code: 834400
  • Account Number: 00796772
  • Reference No: PRN (and quoting the property address for the application) e.g. PRN231GeorgeSt

You will receive confirmation within 28 days advising that the request has been received, and will be advised that either further information is requested or that a case officer has been appointed and will contact you regarding the outcome.

The following information should be submitted with any Prior Notification/Approval application in order to assist with our assessment:

  • the existing and proposed dimensions,
  • existing and proposed number and orientation of panes,
  • existing and proposed colour of framing,
  • details of any glazing bars, horns or decorative/stained/coloured or leaded glass - existing/proposed,
  • existing and proposed method of opening,
  • existing and proposed materials,
  • a plan indicating the site
  • photographs of existing windows
  • manufacturer's specification/drawing if available

Work that may not need permission

If you think your proposal might be 'Permitted Development' and you would like written confirmation of the planning status of your proposal, you can apply for a 'Certificate of Lawfulness for a Proposed Use'. This is a legal document (for which there is a fee), which provides confirmation that your development is permitted. You can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness Online.

To find out which City Plan policies may apply to a development proposal you have, more information can be found in our Supplementary Guidance.

Non-householder Applications

If you have a new development proposal for a site or property which is not a domestic dwelling, the proposed development may be "permitted development" which may not need planning permission. The types of development and are set out in Scottish Government Advice.

Major, National or Local Applications

If you are thinking of submitting an application, you should determine whether the development is for a National, Major or Local development - different scales of development have to go through different procedures. National developments are included in the National Planning Framework 4 (opens new window) Major developments are detailed in Appendix 1 to this report. Further advice on the hierarchy can be found in the Scottish Government : Non Domestic Permitted Development Rights.

If you are uncertain, you may apply to the Council for confirmation on which category of development you are considering submitting. This is known as a Request for a Screening Opinion. The Council has 21 days to let you know whether it has enough information to decide which category of development you are proposing, or, if it has enough information, to confirm in which category your proposed development falls. Note that these categories only apply to applications for planning permission - other application types e.g. applications for Listed Building Consent, or Express Consent, etc - are not included in the "Hierarchy" of developments.

If the scale of your development is National or Major, you will be required to undertake pre-application consultation with the community.  At least 12 weeks before you submit the planning application for it, you must serve a  Proposal of Application Notice (PAN) on the Council. There's no requirement to undertake formal Pre-Application Consultation for Local developments, but determining community views on a proposed development at an early stage is often a good idea. If you undertake PAC for a Local development, you don't have to submit a PAN or wait 12 weeks before submitting the application.

Works without Consent

Have you carried out work without planning permission, or work that is not approved in your planning permission?

Retrospective Application for Planning Permission or Other Consents

If works have been undertaken without permission, but would have been likely to have been granted permission, the Council can invite a 'retrospective' planning application or other appropriate application, such as listed building consent, to be submitted. This will then be assessed and decided in the same way as all other planning applications.

In some circumstances, it is possible the works may not have required planning permission.  In this case, an application for a certificate of lawfulness for existing use or development will confirm the planning status of the works.

Certificate of Lawfulness for Existing Use or Development

A certificate of lawfulness for existing use or development is essentially a remedy for when building works have been undertaken in the past or where, for a number of years, a development or use has existed without conforming with a Planning condition.  A certificate of lawfulness allows the Council to make a formal decision that the development or use may continue without enforcement action.

An application for a Certificate of Lawfulness for an existing use or development can be made when the owner discovers, in the course of selling the land or property, that planning permission was never given for the development, and they need to show possible buyers that the planning authority cannot take enforcement action.

Certificates of lawfulness are not relevant to situations where planning controls which apply to a listed building or conservation area may have not have been complied with.

If you would like more information, please contact the Duty Planner via the Planning Enquiry Form.

Please note that if your development does not require planning permission you might need a Building Warrant. Further information can be found on the Building Standards and Public Safety page.


How do I Apply?

You can Apply for Planning Permission online.

If you wish to discuss your proposals further prior to submitting an application, please use the Planning Enquiry Form to arrange a response from a planning officer.

Related Content

Related Articles



Last modified on 14 June 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email