Toggle menu

Carers Privacy Statement

Who we are

Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership delivers social care services on behalf of Glasgow City Council, a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. Its head office is City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow G2 1DU, United Kingdom. You can contact the Data Protection Officer by post at that address or by email at: and telephone on 0141 287 1055. 

Why do we need your personal information and what do we do with it?

This notice is for Adult and Young Carers, Kinship Carers, Foster Carers and people who have adopted or are seeking to adopt children. We are using your information in order to assess your own need for support, plan and deliver that support and also to monitor the support you are giving to the person for whom you care. We work with other agencies in planning and delivering these supports. We also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone, maintain our records, manage any funding of services and your contribution to these and to demonstrate to our own auditors and external regulators that we are providing proper services in accordance with the law.   

Where possible, new IT systems and the development of existing IT systems will make use of system generated or anonymised data in test environments.  However, there may be circumstances in which test environments, their users and their developers appointed by Glasgow City Council, such as CGI, may be required to utilise your personal data in a test environment.  In such circumstances, Glasgow City Council require that development and test activity comply with data protection legislation, taking reasonable steps to protect your personal data.

Legal basis for using your information

We provide these services to you as part of our statutory function as your local authority under the provisions of the

You can find more details of the council's role on our website at  

Processing your personal information is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest by the council as set out in the legislation referred to above. If you do not provide us with the information we have asked for then we will not be able to provide some of these services to you.  

We also need to process more sensitive personal information about you for the purposes of the provision of social care and the management of health and social care systems and services as set out in the Data Protection Act 2018. It is necessary for us to process that data in order to provide such services to you and manage those services more widely. 

We may also process data about any criminal convictions you may have or offences you may have committed. This is because we have responsibility for the protection of children and vulnerable adults as well as a responsibility to assess your needs. Information about criminal offences or alleged offences will be processed by us where relevant to your support needs or the protection of vulnerable people.

Who do we share your information with?

We are legally obliged to safeguard public funds and will verify and check your details internally for fraud prevention. We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes.  We are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies, such as HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) and will do so where the law requires this.  We will generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.  This will include sharing data with Disclosure Scotland in respect of your suitability to act as a carer for vulnerable persons. Your information is also analysed internally to help us improve our services.  

Social Care often involves multi-agency support. There are many other agencies with whom we routinely share your data in order to support and protect you. The main ones we usually share your data with for those purposes include the NHS (National Health Service) (your G.P, health visitor, district nurses, hospital staff, Scottish Ambulance Service and allied professions involved in your care and support).  If caring for a child we are likely to share information with your child's school or nursery, and possibly with The Scottish Children's Reporters Administration and Children's Panels.  We may share information with any provider of care and support to you or the person for whom you care and with The Care Inspectorate if concerns are raised with them about those services to you.

In addition, we may share information with some other agencies depending on your individual circumstances. These may include your housing provider, particularly if aspects of your support relate to housing adaptations or other housing-related issues, the Department of Work and Pensions in terms of benefits you may receive, The Office of the Public Guardian or Mental Welfare Commissioner if you have been appointed as power of attorney or welfare guardian, Police Scotland and Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. We will also share information with other council services where we are working with them to provide services to you.

This data sharing will only take place when necessary to discharge our legal duties based on your individual circumstances. It will be done in accordance with our Information Use and Privacy Policy and covered in our full privacy statement on our website. It also forms part of our requirements in line with our Records Management Plan approved in terms of the Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011.

International transfers:
We do not anticipate any need to transfer your personal data outwith the U.K. We will advise you if any such need arises and explain the reasons to you or your legal representative. 

How long do we keep your information for?

We only keep your personal information for the minimum period amount of time necessary.  Sometimes this time period is set out in the law, but in most cases it is based on the business need.  We maintain a records retention and disposal schedule which sets out how long we hold different types of information for.   You can view this on our website at (PDF) [3MB] or you can request a hard copy from the contact address stated above.

Your rights under data protection law

  • access to your information - you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. 
  • correcting your information - we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
  • deletion of your information - you have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:
  1. you think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained
  2. you have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information - see Objecting to how we may use your information below
  3. our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.

Objecting to how we may use your information - You have the right at any time to tell us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes.  

Restricting how we may use your information - in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information.  This right might apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data.  

Where this right applies it will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.

Please contact us as stated above if you wish to exercise any of these rights.

Information you have given us about other people

If you have provided anyone else's details to us, please make sure that you have told them that you have given their information to Glasgow City Council.  We will only use this information as part of the assessment of your need for services and to contact them in connection with delivery of any such services. If they want any more information on how we will use their information they can visit our web site at or email


We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. If your complaint is about how we have handled your personal information, you can contact the Council's Data Protection Officer by email at or by telephone on 0141 287 1055.

However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint about data protection matters with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at:  Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit the ICO website for more information on complaints.

If your complaint is not about a data protection matter you can find details on how to make a complaint about Social Work Services on our website.

More information

For more details on how we process your personal information visit
If you do not have access to the internet you can contact us via telephone to request hard copies of our documents.

Last modified on 28 February 2024

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email