Toggle menu

Report out of hours complaints

Report a noise problem (opens new window) | Phone 0141 287 1060

We can cover some Public Health functions outwith normal office hours.

The main duties of the out of hours staff relate to the investigation of noise complaints from commercial premises, the majority of which arise during the evening and into night-time. Enforcement powers are available to allow noise disturbance issues to be resolved when informal contact is not successful.

We endeavour to respond to all noise complaints relating to:

  • Public Houses / Clubs (live bands, karaoke, discos)
  • Construction Sites
  • Alarms sounding

Officers are on duty 7 days a week from 5pm to 3am and can be contacted directly on 0141 287 1060 or by using our online form.

Licensed premises

Licensed premises have a responsibility to be considerate towards neighbouring properties and these suggestions can help in reducing noise disturbance:

  • Consult with a relevant acoustic expert should you wish to introduce or significantly modify existing amplified voices or music.
  • Third parties (DJ's, Karaoke companies, bands) require to be adequately managed by the License Holder to prevent raised noise levels in their premises adversely affecting others. Care should be exercised where third parties propose to use further amplification outwith your direct control. This practice should routinely be avoided.
  • Provide suitable control on noise escape through building weak spots. For instance, noise escape through leaving doors and windows open for ventilation and through non-acoustically treated ventilation and ducts to the exterior.
  • Ensure all external fans and ventilation extraction serving your premises are turned off at the earliest opportunity. Servicing and/or acoustic treatment may also be required to reduce disturbance.

On closing premises after trading, reduce noise from activities to a minimum including lower voices and prevent the use of amplified background music, i.e. jukebox. Encourage patrons to leave premises quietly to minimise disturbance to local residents - signs to this effect may help

  • Discourage taxis from using their horns to attract the attention of your customers and staff at all times. Ask the drivers to switch off their engines while waiting for customers - signs to this effect may help.
  • Allow access to waste uplift by contractors at a time and place that causes the least disturbance. Due to the excessive noise created outwith your premises when filling and emptying a bin containing glass, please ensure that extra consideration is exercised on filling methods and waste disposal company uplift times.
  • Ensure that there are no raised voices from door persons carrying out their routine tasks.
  • Ensure members of your staff do not dispose of glass outwith the premises at times which will cause disturbance to local residents.

With the legislation relating to smoking in public places in Scotland, licensed premises should ensure that noise from smoking areas outwith the premises but used by their patrons do not cause undue disturbance to those nearby. Premises need to also consider litter and thoroughfare issues. Advice on smoking shelters is available on the Scottish Government website or contact us by email.

On receipt of a noise complaint, where possible, officers will discuss the situation with the complainant and seek to rectify justified complaints timeously. Officers may be able to provide assistance and a neutral perspective on the situation. If informal contact is unsuccessful officers from have enforcement powers in terms of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to abate noise disturbance where appropriate.

Should you be disturbed by noise from a licensed premises, please call our Out of Hours Unit on 0141 287 1060.

NB. Please note any disturbance will have to be monitored from your property before any formal action can be considered.

Last modified on 28 March 2023

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email