What is a prepaid card?
If you receive a Direct Payment you will be issued with a Prepaid Card to manage the money.
A prepaid card is just like a traditional bank debit card. It is not a credit card so you can only spend up to the balance on the card.
How is the prepaid card used?
The card can be used in the same way as a traditional bank debit card. You can use it to pay your personal assistant(s) wages directly into their bank account and to set up regular payments using standing orders or direct debits to pay your chosen care providers.
What are the benefits of a prepaid card?
Some of the benefits of a direct payment prepaid card are:-
- it is safe, secure and easy to use
- there is no need to open a separate bank account
- you cannot go overdrawn or get into debt with your prepaid card
- there is no need to submit paper monitoring returns to GCC
- it is much simpler to operate than a 'traditional' bank account
How do I use the prepaid card?
- Your card will be set up by GCC and sent to you or your nominated person. You will receive your personal identification number (PIN) separately.
- You will need to activate your card (instructions on how to do this will be issued with your card).
- You can get up to date account information, pay invoices or bills and update your account details in the following ways:-
- on the internet, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- over the telephone - by calling Customer Services on 0330 808 0102 between 08:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).
How do I make payments using the prepaid card
- you can pay your personal assistant(s) or other providers using telephone or internet banking
- you can transfer wages to your personal assistant(s) bank account
- you can set up a direct debit or standing order from the card to make regular payments to your personal assistant(s), other providers or organisations
- you can use the prepaid card in person, online and over the phone
Can I load money onto the prepaid card?
Yes, if you have been financially assessed [111kb] to contribute towards the cost of your care you will also need to load your assessed weekly charge on to the card. You can load money on your card by:-
- bank transfer
- online or via telephone banking
- at the post office.
Can I get help to manage my prepaid card?
Yes, you can get help to manage your prepaid card, and all aspects of your direct payment, from our support agency - Glasgow Centre for Inclusive Living (GCIL).
They can help you to:
- activate and set up your prepaid card
- manage your prepaid card online account
- set up Direct Debits and Standing Orders
- understand the Financial Procedures for Direct Payments [40kb] and your responsibilities
- arrange care from, and pay invoices to, your chosen care provider
- employ personal assistants, including writing job adverts, job descriptions and contracts of employment
- ensure you meet all payroll and HMRC responsibilities
- keep records about the money you spend
- set up an email address, if required, to help manage your prepaid card online account
Will Glasgow City Council have access to my prepaid card account?
Yes, Glasgow City Council will access your prepaid account to complete the necessary financial review of your direct payment online. This will mean less paperwork for you to keep.
All transactions on your prepaid card account will be monitored to make sure the direct payment is being used as agreed in your support plan and in accordance with the Interim Financial Procedures.